Episode 632

RSS

The first installment of a series of Comic Reel-lief specials, your Number One genuine British person Ian Wilson employs the services of fellow Englishman Tom Hemmings to shoot the breeze of this bafflingly lucrative filmic sub-genre! On their agenda are lists of costumes ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous, and just which characters are too ludicrous to be true? Tally-ho! [ 2:44:15 || 79.1 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_632.mp3

BRILLIANT SEGMENT. Can't wait for the next one. A few random things:

1) Other great costumes (IMO): Ra's al Ghul, the Ian McKellan Magneto, most of the other Asgardians

2) Other incredible origins: 1989 Batman (why bats, Master Wayne?), Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman (which you briefly mentioned), the Penguin, Elektra (from Daredevil, not her own film), Venom

3) Other shit costumes: Brandon Routh's Superman, Green Lantern

4) Suggestions for future segments (not all may warrant Top 10 lists)

-Best/Worst Villains and Henchmen

-Best/Worst Love Interests

-Best/Worst Villainous Plans

-Best/Worst Supporting Characters

-Best Mentor Figures (the only really bad one that comes to mind for now is the Michael Gough Alfred)

-Most Shafted Characters (Cyclops, Colossus, Venom, the other Green Lanterns et al)

5) You were a rower, Ian? So was I! What seat did you row? Did you row with one oar or in a scull? If the former, starboard or port? (and yes, I'm sure the English have their own terms for some of those things)

Keep up the sterling work, gentlemen.

Thanks dude, everyone loves a good top ten list. Best/worst Villains and Love interests has some legs I think, maybe mentors too. I'll have to work up some lists to see. Good suggestions. My minds racing around the Most Shafted at the moment, that has potential.

I heavily considered mentioning the Brandon Routh Superman costume because the leather cape and tiny swimmers underpants but really thinking about it all Superman outfits have to be taken with a giant grain of salt. It's really no dafter than the one Christopher Reeves wore. I also considered Green Lantern but oddly dismissed it due to it's high CGI content. Weird considering my No 1 on the favourites side. My logic is far from consistent on these things. Also can't believe I didn't go with Magneto, should have been an honourable mention at least.

The Batman 1989 origin is sorta covered by the honorary name from that list, the "I shall become a bat!" list. Batman is forever the high watermark against which the ability of the audience to buy your origin is judged.

Thanks for the feedback, always welcome!

5) You were a rower, Ian? So was I! What seat did you row? Did you row with one oar or in a scull? If the former, starboard or port? (and yes, I'm sure the English have their own terms for some of those things)

Keep up the sterling work, gentlemen.

Firstly, I appreciate the "sterling" pun, however unintentional it may have been!

As for my boating days, I started out as a sculler. When I graduated up to rowing I was more suited to the "Port" side (UK uses "Bow" & "Stroke" side, which equates to "Port" & "Starboard" respectively).

To all listeners, please let us know if 3 lists is too long or if you'd prefer that to 2 lists at a time. I've never been opposed to making long podcasts, but obviously I rely on my audience feedback for guidance!

I say we unite in a south west England alliance to take down the Leicester based upstart.

Agreed. Civilisation itself is basically at stake. I bet we could even turn his own brother against him...more. Turn him against him more I mean.

Bring it on! The blood of Richard III, Gary Linekar and Englebert Humperdink runs through our bodies, so prepare for a world of potato-based, crooning cripple-punishment.

I'd go with the Mark VI from Iron Man 2 and The Avengers. It has the same basic "look" as the comics (the red and gold are basically in the right place), and it's got an overall really great shape to it.

(spoilered for image size)

PD1340186858nSU.jpg

Though, really, any of the red Iron Man armors would work. They're pretty close design-wise (I think the head on all of them is identical), and I like them all mostly equally.

Tough question. I really like the Mark III

iron-man-mark-iii-armor.jpg

But that's probably because that's the movie that's most about the suit and you get to see all the little flaps and gizmos and whatnot.

Also a fan of the Mark VII from the end of Avengers

hot-toys-iron-man-mark-vii.jpg

Probably because it bring it back to the circle in the chest.