Episode 300

RSS

Join us to celebrate 300 episodes of Dread Media as we pay tribute to the Godfather of Italian Genre Cinema: Mario Bava! For having such a huge influence on the art form, he's been relatively under-represented on the show, and boy are we going to change that this week! To kick things off, the boss himself, Michael David Sims, joins us to talk about Black Sunday. Then Adam, Jeff, and Luke stop by to talk about the comedic proto-giallo The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Duane, of course, suggested an anthology film as he joins Desmond to review Black Sabbath. Darryll comes back to divert the genre over to a Viking epic as he helps us come to terms with Knives of the Avenger. Lastly, the show doesn't feel complete without a Stay Scary segment, so Devil Dinosaur Jr. gives us a doozy as he looks at the awesome but mis-titled Kill, Baby... Kill! Damien's back to look at the bizarre fiance-killersploitation flick Hatchet for the Honeymoon. And, finally, Chris is back to check out the prototypical slasher film A Bay of Blood (aka Twich of the Death Nerve). There's a ton of songs, too! "Godfather" by Fantomas, "Burn the Witch" by Queens of the Stone Age, "Bear Witness" by Doomriders, "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath, "The Wild Rover" by Tyr, "Sorceress" by Angel Witch, "Electric Flower" by The Melvins, "Last Will and Testament" by The Burning Hell, and "Monday Morning" by Pulp. Thanks so much for listening. Please donate, if you can, to www.dreadmedia.com. Here's to 300 more! [ 3:31:29 || 101.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_300.mp3

Kino has been putting out Blu-rays of Bava's films, so you know they're quality.

Black Sunday is one of the best looking horror films ever made, a classic.

Yeah, The Girl Who Knew Too Much isn't very good. I was going to say I've seen worse Bava films, but now I'm not so sure. At least it has John Saxon.

I wasn't a huge fan of Black Sabbath when I saw it. However, I saw the American cut, so I'd probably like it more if I saw the European version.

I haven't seen Knives of the Avenger, but I have seen Hercules in the Haunted World. Just kind of there, but it has Christopher Lee and a beautiful Bava Underworld.

Kill, Baby...Kill! is in the same vein as Black Sunday and great as well. The little girl is creepy as hell.

Hatchet for the Honeymoon might be my favorite Bava film. It's like his giallo style, his gothic style, and Psycho were thrown into a blender. Maybe his most psychological film.

Man, my audio does sound wretched. Going to have to keep an eye on that.

Congrats to Des, Mike, Adam, Jeff, Luke, Duane, Darryll, and Dubs. That is how you do an anniversary episode.