What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

Lost: Via Domus (360) - This just got bumped up ahead of my No More Heroes review, as it managed to be a significantly worse game.

And this surprised you somehow?

Yeah. The concept had a shitload of potential.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up Professor Layton for the DS on Saturday....so good that I played through the entire main story and finished the game Sunday night. If you like puzzles and brain teasers this game is not to be missed.

Basically PL is a point and click adventure that uses the DS stylus for all of your movement and puzzle solving. The game does have lots of bonus features to keep you going after the main quest is completed, and you can download a free puzzle every week through Nintendo Wi-Fi

I’m still playing DMC4. After finishing the game on Devil Hunter, I’ve pretty much just spent all my time fiddling around in the Bloody Palace. I’ll probably tackle DMD difficulty at some point.

I need to pick up Patapon again. I got stuck on the first miracle, and I can’t get the little buggers to stay in Fever mode.

I’ll probably give Half Life 2 a shot in the next couple of weeks too. I bought the Orange Box but I’ve yet to play any of the games outside of Portal.

I'm marauding through Mass Effect too, Dan. I don't really like it, but I just can't put it down for some reason.

So far it isn't blowing me away, but I'm enjoying it well enough. It's basically KOTOR with better graphics and alien sideboob. Bioware has a piece of my soul, I think.

Agreed, the conversational segments are like a carbon copy of KotOR, just stripped of all the interesting Jedi backstory. The action sequences are quite different, though. I love the concept of floating around the universe, charting new planets and bringing back samples, but it feels very directionless and uninspired, even when I'm following the main plotline.

Well, I just started it last night, so after three hours I've only just now set foot an my first alien planet. It's not a constant wall-to-wall action shoot-em-up, it's a story with occasional brief bursts of violence, but I kinda like that.

Well, I just finished it, and I gotta say that while I can definitely understand why it wouldn't float everyone's boat, I loved it. It's talky and more interested in telling a story than having a firefight with alien cyborgs, but... well, that's right up my alley.

I finished Mass Effect over the weekend too, Dan, and I actually echo your thoughts. I hated it until I was very deep into the story, but once it got over the hurdle I really fell in love with it. Strangely, though the game's bread and butter is its non-linear gameplay, (well... basically non-linear) the levels where I had the most fun were the linear ones - Therum, Feros and Ilos.

I'm thinking about doing another run-through to get the level 60 achievement (you can't progress past level 50 until your second playthrough) and to try it as a good guy since I was a royal douchebag the first time through.

Strangely, though the game's bread and butter is its non-linear gameplay, (well... basically non-linear) the levels where I had the most fun were the linear ones - Therum, Feros and Ilos.

Seconded. Those and the Citadel. The other planets were fine, but felt like story padding. Which, yeah, they were. Of course, that story padding is where the lion's share of the actual "shooting things" tended to be. :laugh: I kind of dug the whole surveying and exploring thing, too. When I was a kid, one of the sides of TNG that lit my brain was the whole "Let's go down there!" "Why, what's down there?" "I dunno. Maybe nothing. Let's go see! Come on!" aspect, the idea that these were places no one had really gotten to explore before. Of course, I was a weird kid.

I'm thinking about doing another run-through to get the level 60 achievement (you can't progress past level 50 until your second playthrough) and to try it as a good guy since I was a royal douchebag the first time through.

Yeah, me too, except I went through as a good guy the first time. I also want to go through and play the "Bring Down the Sky" pack as a relatively huigh level character; I didn't realize you couldn't just play the main game finish it, and then import your character as he/she was at the end and just play. It has to be part of the main storyline as an unlocked planet. Boo-urns.

I swear, no one does this shit better than Bioware. I heart them. I'm totally re-installing Baldur's Gate.

Question for you guys. Best Buy has Final Fantasy XI and four expansion packs for $30 (for the Xbox 360). Having never played anything Final Fantasy XI, is it worth it? I've always been curious about picking up an MMORPG and this seems like a great deal.

There's a reason it's so cheap. There's still a community of sorts for the game, and if you're only means to an MMO is console, then you might want to give it a try, but I wasn't impressed.