What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find that the Nintendo 64 was the best games console ever invented, with no flaws to its controls whatsoever.

....I mean, it wasn't, but that was my stance when I was 14 and I never officially retract my ludcicrous childhood stances. In much the same way, The Twits by Roald Dahl is the greatest literary masterpiece there's ever been.

"So... how do I control the analog stick?"

"...What?"

"I mean, if I'm holding the controller normally, how is my thumb supposed to reach the analog stick?"

"...Usually you just hold the middle handle."

"Oh, that's weird. But then how do you control the buttons?"

"What?"

"If you're only holding the middle handle, then—"

"No no no. You put your left hand on the middle handle and your right hand on the right handle."

"Oh, okay. So what about the left handle?"

"You only use that in some games."

"But then how would I control the analog stick?"

Mario+facepalm+1.jpg

Confusion is understandable. It was a poorly thought-out controller designed to work perfectly with literally one game. Everything else was an awkward mess.

Yes, Clayfighters 63 and a 1/3 was great.

Even as a self-confessed N64 apologist, that comment gave me a wry chuckle! Well played sir.

• 3 weeks later...
Spent about an hour with Bandfuse. My early impressions.
- The pitch cable is much sturdier than the Rocksmith one, which makes tuning much easier because it's less of a guessing game.
- I really really like that they've actually taken the instrument you're playing out of the master recordings, so you can better judge what you're doing, as opposed to RS, where the song is essentially just a metronome that you play along to.
- Sight reading tab is much harder than the note highway. I think they realized this early on, considering the song choices are generally much easier than RS.
- That said, the song choices absolutely suck if you already own RS. There are maybe ten unique songs that aren't already on other games. DLC is supposed to be coming at the end of this month.
- The tutorials from the legends are useless. It's mostly just video of them telling a story, followed by about ten seconds of them actually playing a technique that they barely describe.

Bought Game Dev Tycoon during the Steam Winter Sale. So far, it's pretty enjoyable. It's a game where your enjoyment will be enhanced by having followed video games for a long time since all of the various consoles are based off of real consoles and the game genres that were popular for them in reality are popular for them in game. Worth trying out though I'm debating when I'm going to go back.

Dear WB Games Montreal:

I sure loved the Mr. Freeze boss fight in Arkham City. Doing it again with Bane, hopped up on Titan (because of course he is) in a figure 8, with no places to hide is awful.

Actually, that's Arkham Origins in a nutshell, Arkham City but with added awful.

Also, fuck you from promising Black Mask and delivering Joker. Again.

Love,

Preston

P.S. Slade was used pretty well, I guess.

P.P.S. What the fuck was Deadshot's plan? That made zero sense. Why would the best sniper in the world lure Batman into an enclosed space? Batman can punch you in an enclosed space. He can't punch you when you blow his head off from a rooftop three blocks away. Shitty sniping, Floyd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I used to be a hardcore Zelda fan (see signature) but after the last several games, my fandom has significantly gone down. A Link Between Worlds, however, completely reinvigorates Zelda in an awesome way. Despite being a sequel to A Link to the Past, it has a ton of new ideas and throws out a lot of the "Zelda formula."

The best part of the game is/are the reimagined dungeon mechanics. In some ways the dungeons feel more like Portal levels than classic Zelda dungeons, requiring creativity rather than simple time and endurance. Oh, and they can be completed in any order (to a degree), making the whole game feel more exploration-focused rather than linearly progressive.

On top of that, it's also very fanservice-heavy, but only in the best way. Tons of classic Zelda music everywhere, lots of references, but nothing that cramps the game's newness.

(except for the Hyrule overworld, but you don't spend too much time there.)

Totally overjoyed that they finally made a great Zelda game again; can't wait to see how they apply these ideas to the next console Zelda.

• 2 weeks later...

In an interesting gaming predicament at the moment.

I have games for my 3DS (Pokemon X, Theatrhythm FF, and KH 3D), but my 3DS hasn't arrived yet, and only has until Thursday until I file a claim. They originally claimed it was sent last Monday, and after the second email, by the end of this week/beginning of this one. I independently investigated with USPS, and the tracking number they provided was invalid. I'm not holding my breath for it arriving anytime soon.

Also found a good used PS3, and as far as I can tell, it powers on/etc - except that the input cable (which I kind of need to play it) wasn't included, so I'm currently waiting on one from a friend to replace it. But, once I have it, I've got Ni no Kuni (aka the Ghibli game) and KH 1.5 to play through.

• 2 weeks later...

POKEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. God this is way too much fucking fun.

And I'm gonna inaugurate the PS3 with the FFX/X-2 HD remaster when it gets here towards the end of this week, because that was the first game I played on my PS2 (and one of my first games, ever) almost... jesus christ ten years ago now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pokemon X: Just reached the city after the haunted house ripoff. Playing this very much on a casual basis, but am alright with that.

FFX HD: Just need to find somewhere to grind Lulu and Yuna, as I'm at the timed outer Sin battle and I need to have a way to destroy him in the alloted amount of time. Probably doing that this weekend.