Anti-Fanboy

J Marv

Yoda, I know this was pretty much an opinion piece, but I would like to present the case against, as it were.

The cost of development of console games has skyrocketed, effectively eliminating independent developers and smaller 3rd party publishers from competing. EA works its developers in slavelike conditions, and there is no union to protect them from this treatment. Everybody's got a breaking point, and I'm shocked that EA hasn't yet hit its employees'. You point out that in the previous console crash, there were too many crappy games, it's beginning to happen now. Many games are being released unfinished to make holiday deadlines. It hasn't affected sales yet, but it will start to, and soon. LucasArts has nearly lost me as a customer over KOTOR 2, and I will read dozens upon dozens of reviews before I buy another LucasArts game (KOTOR 2 is a brilliant game and well worth its cost, right up until the unfinished climax, it feels like a premature ejaculation). EA has already ticked me off with their NFL and NCAA and AFL shit, and its only a matter of time before they begin to take advantage of the monopolies they have. Microsoft is pushing those Micro-transaction things on XBox Live, so that, after spending $60 on a game (which I don't actually mind, but a lot of people will), I'm gonna have to spend another 20 or so just so I can compete with other online players? It's ludicrous. More people may be gaming than ever, but that doesn't mean that's a good thing for the industry as a whole. Businesses move in cycles, and the gaming industry has been on the upswing for far too long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not predicting the end of console gaming. But there is a very compelling argument that it might implode, whether you believe it or not.

And if all first person shooters are the same, then all 3D platformers are the same. Don't make asinine statements. You're smarter than that.

I don't have time to respond to this right now (I'm out of town and using dial-up), but I will say that this really isn't the forum to respond to Anti-Fanboy stuff. Click the "comment" button at the bottom of each AF piece to be taken to a special/hidden section of the forums for that.

Repost this there (in a new thread, not the "intro" one), and I'll respond when I get back to Chicago on Sunday.