books that spoke to you personally

Rjoyadet

I want to share it with you guys a story that spoke to me personally, that doesn't seem to have any impact on others. I would like to know if anyone else had a story that spoke to them like that. My story would be Rappaccini's Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Considered by many scholars to be one of the earliest SF stories. Rappaccinis daughter follows the story of a medical man Giacomo Rappaccini who has a garden of poison plants. His daughter ,Beatrice, tends the plants and develops a resistance to the poison. However she herself becomes poisonous. I could go on and talk about the man who falls in love with her and the tragedy that he brings, but the beginning is the part that spoke to me.

As long as I can remember, I have struggled with mild depression. Psychoanalysis and psychological sessions have pointed to a feeling of guilt. So I felt a connection to Beatrice. When I first read the story I thought she was like Poison Ivy from Batman. But then I realized that Beatrice, unlike Pamela is not a terrorist, she does not want to terrify, or bully people. She stays in her garden because its only there where she does not find herself dangerous. Everyone else just seems to read it and snicker about how flawed early evolution ideas were.

What book, or story, had a profound effect on you but seemingly nobody else?