Gotham

dc20willsave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video was a little over-produced, but it has me excited for the show. I can't say the last time that's happened. Maybe Agents of SHIELD, but I didn't get around to that 'cause from the get go it felt like a show in a holding pattern. This, not so much.

I mean, the video was neat and everything, but it would have been way better if it was just Donal Logue punching dudes out for 3 minutes and 22 seconds.

Edit: seriously though, Fish Mooney is the character that Penguin is going to have to kill to ascend to full-fledged crime boss, right?

I mean, the video was neat and everything, but it would have been way better if it was just Donal Logue punching dudes out for 3 minutes and 22 seconds.

Edit: seriously though, Fish Mooney is the character that Penguin is going to have to kill to ascend to full-fledged crime boss, right?

1.) Yes. Logue is already the star of the show.

2.) God, I hope so. I cannot stand Jada Pinkett Smith. I really hope they're building her up, just so her death is more shocking when it comes halfway through the first season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All I saw was:

Sean Pertwee is playing Alfred!Sean Pertwee is playing Alfred! Sean Pertwee is playing Alfred!

From what I remember on Bigger on the Inside, Jon Pertwee was the only Doctor who mentioned Batman. The closest any other got was Tennant when he shouted Shazam!

Well played house of Pertwee, well played.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, gang, thoughts?

I see a lot of potential, a few problems, but overall, I'm pretty pleased.

Good Stuff:

-McKenzie is very, very good. Gordon's writing could be a little flat, but the acting is very strong.

-Donal Logue. Donal Logue. Donal Logue.

-Penguin was a welcome surprise, very nice mixture of menacing and sniveling.

-Alfred was goddamn perfect.

-I really, really like the black and grey morality they brought to Falcone in regards to the Wayne Murder.

-Well shot, nice sets.

Not So Good Stuff:

-Unless they're making him a red herring, the stand up comedian in Mooney's club is going to be a severe fucking issue. (I'm hoping they actually give us a bunch of red herrings that could be Joker. The comedian, maybe a mob enforcer, a chemical engineer, etc. Give us a pile of options, but never reveal who will become Joker.)

-Catwoman and Poison Ivy felt extremely shoe-horned in.

-Riddler was in one scene, but he was very, very irritating.

-Oh, Jim Gordon's wife used to date Renee Montoya. Yay. That's... a thing.

-Fish Mooney is being set up to die, which is a wonderful thing, because she's an awful character.

Random Stuff:

-I don't know how I feel about Bruce. He's a fine child actor, but the way they're playing him is that he's just mini-Batman, already. "I'm conquering fear." No, kid, you should be an emotional wreck at this point, you're not just instantly Batman, you need to drink that pain in, let it fester into a mental illness, THEN you're Batman.

-The actual murder of the Waynes was borderline laughable.

I pretty much agree with most everything Preston said. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

-I don't know how I feel about Bruce. He's a fine child actor, but the way they're playing him is that he's just mini-Batman, already. "I'm conquering fear." No, kid, you should be an emotional wreck at this point, you're not just instantly Batman, you need to drink that pain in, let it fester into a mental illness, THEN you're Batman.

My impression from most Batman stories is that Bruce took on that darker, serious "Batman" persona immediately after his parents' murder. The whole idea of "Bruce Wayne died in Crime Alley; something else was born."

Also, just drawing from personal experience, when my dad died (I was fourteen), my personality shifted and I got really serious for a long while. People told me afterward that at the time, they weren't sure if they should be concerned for me or if I was just growing up fast. The way I remember it, shutting down emotionally and getting into a more serious, driven mental state was how I coped for a while. I always figured that Bruce Wayne went through something similar, but he just never got past that stage.

I thought it was okay. It suffered heavily from pilotitis. More attention was paid to introducing all the characters and their motivations than actually telling a good story.

Pros:

-Jada Pinkett: did not expect to like her.

-Penguin guy. A total revelation.

-Ben McKenzie's always been good. He's a little over the top here but I like his Gordon.

-Donal Logue was kind of built to play Bullock. I liked it when he punched things.

-The less Bruce Wayne/Alfred the better. I hope that they keep this Gordon's story.

-The non-descript period piece aspect. Other than the use of a flip phone cell phone, this could have been the 70s. Maybe it's the mid-90s.

Cons:

-Selina Kyle. Come the fuck on! A non-character if there ever was one. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THIS CHARACTER!

-The cutesy references (Riddler, Poison Ivy) didn't do it for me.

-No room to breathe. Too quick. Pilot problem, for sure.

-Barbara

-MCU: too on the nose. Police don't go around implying other police are crooked.

-Pertwee: this one hurts. I thought it was useless to have him, but I don't want to see more of him because this show will fail for me if it becomes about Bruce Wayne.

I will watch a second episode.

Cons:

-Selina Kyle. Come the fuck on! A non-character if there ever was one. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THIS CHARACTER!

I kinda think Selina seeing the murder of the Waynes and sort of stalking Bruce is a neat idea. In the comics, they have this connection where it seems like they're the only two that really understand one another; that makes more sense if Selina was present at that moment in Bruce's life. Also, if she's the only living witness aside from Bruce, that will eventually tie her into Gordon's investigation. They're clearly setting her up to be a part of both storylines, Bruce's and Gordon's. But that said, I'd rather that they not do that, since we'll probably end up in Smallville territory where Lois knew Clark's identity before he had a secret identity. But whatever.