Episode 608

RSS

In the latest Books Without Pictures, cyberpunk, ancient Sumerian mythology, pirates versus ninjas, the National Cryptologic Museum, and They Might Be Giants all become part of the attempt by Dan and Wendee to make some sort of sense out of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. [ 2:01:29 || 58.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_608.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to read along, and got stuck in the library scene. Hopefully I will be able to continue.

The part about this episode that amused me the most is the comparison of today's technology with the supposed tech of the story. I love reading how speculation on the future has been wrong. My favorite has got to be "Have Space Suit Will Travel" where the hero Kip Russell talks about how much he loves to perform calculations on his slide rule.

I signed up for SecondLife in 2008, for a week I spent a grand total of about three hours, got off and never looked back. I am glad I am not the only one who got creep-ed out.