Episode 17

RSS

In the last two William Hartnell stories, The Doctor faces off against pirates ("The Smugglers") and Cybermen ("The Tenth Planet")! Though there isn't much to say about the first story, the duo has plenty to say about the second, as well as Hartnell himself. [ 48:36 || 22.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggeronth.../bigger_017.mp3

Nice podcast again. It's a pity that Hartnell's last few stories are so underwhelming. The idea of a Doctor's last story being an epic event didn't really kick in until Troughton's last story. Really looking forward to your thoughts on Power Of The Daleks. It is one of my favourite stories.

A thought occurred to me while I was listening to the episode.

Susan being The Doctor's granddaughter and presumably a Time Lord conceivably has the ability to regenerate just like The Doctor. So why has she not made appearances in the series aside from The Five Doctors special. It need not be Carole Ann Ford reprising the role of Susan, since The Doctor looks different every time he regenerates, nor does Susan need to be a regular member of the cast, but every once in a while she pops up and joins The Crew on an adventure. It might add an interesting dynamic to the series having an original character, aside from The Doctor, make an appearance or two and see the consequences of a return of Susan.

Anyway, this is just a weird thought I had while I was listening to the podcast. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Well at the very least Susan has been to Galifrey. In The Five Doctors she recognises Rassilon's tomb and states that they are on Galifrey so she has the local knowledge. As to whether she is a timelord or not fan opinion seems to be divided on the subject. Much like it is on everything else.

How can people say she's not a Time Lord? In "The Sound of Drums" it's said, "Children of Gallifrey were taken from their families at the age of eight to enter the Academy." Since Susan is 15-ish during "An Unearthly Child," it fits to reason that she too entered the Academy.

I never said it made sense. I think it's just that some fans don't like the idea of the Doctor having had a family because that means he must have an interest in women and to their minds he shouldn't. Their was nearly anarchy in some areas of the fan community when the U.S. TV movie came out and the Doctor actually kisses a woman. It tends to be those fans who hate the more romantic aspects of the current series as well. There are some wacky people out there.

Had The Doctor never mentioned a family before the movie, then maybe I could see they uproar. But Susan was a part of the lore from the start, so obviously at some point The Doctor got laid. Even still, maybe the Eighth Doctor was a little randy. ;)

I like a lot of the TV Movie despite it having a plot that makes almost no sense. However for some fans it was getting everything wrong. The main complaints seem to be that the Doctor kisses a girl, the chameleon circuit which disguises the TARDIS is referred to as a "Cloaking Device" and the eye of harmony is suddenly in the TARDIS when it had been established that it was on Galifrey. To me that's mostly nitpicking as I find for the most part it is a lot of fun but there are some Doctor Who fans who are scary in their foaming at the mouth crazy support of the show and the venom they will spit at anything they deem unworthy. I guess that's the internet for you.

Had The Doctor never mentioned a family before the movie, then maybe I could see they uproar. But Susan was a part of the lore from the start, so obviously at some point The Doctor got laid. Even still, maybe the Eighth Doctor was a little randy. ;)

You have to remember that, before the new series, The Doctor had never mentioned family other than Susan. It seemed a pretty big leap that he never had romantic interest since then, so most people assumed that she was either adopted, or that it was a case of keeping up appearances, or that she wrongly believed he was her grandfather and that he let her believe it.

Essentially, since The Doctor never showed any other romantic interest, there are no mentions of family in the rest of the series, it was generally assumed that there had to be some other explanation for Susan.

Eventually, it went as far as the invention of 'time-looms'. Time Lords were essentially born through time paradoxes.

This is because a lot of Doctor Who fans have never had sex, and it makes them feel inadequate if Sylvester McCoy can get some and they can't.

Another damn good podcast, though. Weird hearing the cybermen like that.