The Batman Adventures #7

RSS

This issue of The Batman Adventures sees the departure of artist Brad Rader — as he returned to working on Batman: The Animated Series — and the introduction of Mike Parobeck. The first issue he is assigned is a tale of wrestling. I feel a headache coming on already.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/dc/dcau/batman-adventures-07

Good work, Erin, but I mostly disagree about the cover.

The solid red background is bland, but it conveys danger, even death for Batman who's held tight in Croc's grip.

Now, as for Croc's arms, if this were Batman or Detective Comics, I'd agree they could use more definition through darker colors. But this is The Batman Adventures as published in 1993, so what we have here is the right amount of shading.

Also, I don't think Batman looks anything like the Adam West Batman. In fact, I'd say he's a cross between Alan Davis and Joe Quesada's versions of the character:

44231_20090402114552_large.jpg

19314_20060308154105_large.jpg

68775_20061030043953_large.jpg

Good work, Erin, but I mostly disagree about the cover.

The solid red background is bland, but it conveys danger, even death for Batman who's held tight in Croc's grip.

Also, I don't think Batman looks anything like the Adam West Batman.

Actually, Mike, I looked at the cover and immediately thought "eeesh. That's a childishly-simple-looking cover, and Batman looks like he's back in 1966." (it's the bright blue brow-furrows and the upside-down white eyes, I think.)

The shading style may reflect comic art of the time, but the DCAU art style always had nicely shaded colors that made everything look three-dimensional. (the covers of The Batman Adventures #1 and #2 are examples of decent comic adaptations of the style) #7's cover just takes the oversimplified character models from BTAS and takes away the shading that made the style so special.

I wholeheartedly concur with Erin's assessment.

Also, I don't think Batman looks anything like the Adam West Batman.

Where I think that Batman looks like Adam West Batman is in the way the eyes are shaded on the cowl. It looks very similar to those purple highlights, eyebrows I daresay, that were on the Adam West Batman cowl. That, however, that is my opinion.