RIP Ken Ober

JackFetch

Ken Ober, the former host of MTV's long-running game show 'Remote Control,' passed away Sunday for unknown reasons. He was 52. Ober's manager Lee Kernis confirmed to the New York Times that the TV personality had complained to a friend about a headache and flu-like symptoms on Saturday night, and was planning on seeing a physician as a result.

Ober's career in television began in the '80s when he competed as a comedian on 'Star Search.' Beginning in 1987, the New England-bred entertainer would host five seasons of MTV's La-Z-Boy-friendly 'Jeopardy' knock-off, which the network considers one of its first forays into series television. Following the cancellation of 'Remote Control,' Ober continued hosting other game shows -- like 'Make Me Laugh' and 'Smush' -- before settling into behind-the-scenes posts on CBS's 'The New Adventures of Old Christine,' and the Comedy Central variety shows 'Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn' and 'Mind of Mencia.'

Mr. Kernis, who represented Ober for more than 20 years said, "He was a terrific friend. I'm still shocked."

Remote Control was my favorite game show ever. That was mostly due to my teenage hormones and Kari Wuhrer being the co-host, but this still shocks me. 2009 is the year my childhood died.

Remote Control was my favorite game show ever. That was mostly due to my teenage hormones and Kari Wuhrer being the co-host, but this still shocks me. 2009 is the year my childhood died.

I was a contestant on the final season of Remote Control, the one that featured the generic blonde chickie who followed Alicia Coppola, who followed Kari....I was, shall we say, so nervous I overcompensated and came off like a lunatic. But Colin Quinn got to tape arm me, and I had an interesting conversation with Adam Sandler a few years before he made his mark on film playing a ragaholic man-child...

And for me, the true RC hottie wasn't Kari, but Marisol, the ultra-cute pint-sized Latina who appeared on the first season.