Iron Man news

Missy

From IGN.com:

Sources advised IGNFF that this draft of Iron Man is very Tom Clancy-esque in tone and involves the conflict between Tony Stark and his father Howard over Stark Industries. The Armored Avenger's origin has been updated from the Vietnam back story used in the comics.

Great, why don't I go and shoot myself for bringing it up!

Some casting ideas, off the top of my head.....

Tate Donovan - Jimmy Cooper in the OC, voice of Tarzan, dated Jennifer Aniston.

Brad Pitt surely he is due for a superhero pic?

Corin Nemec His work in SG1 is/was pretty good, I think he could pull this off.

Casting rumour from Darkhorizons.com:

According to IESB, a scooper who has been working as an extra on the Fantastic Four set claims that Rob Lowe's name has been mentioned when Iron Man is being discussed.

"Did you know that they're doing IRON MAN next? Same producer. He's been talking about it in heaps. We overheard Rob Lowe's name a couple of times. He might be under consideration. Not much of a star though? One of the producers, Kevin, has been coming and going from the set because of meetings on it [iron Man] with the studio"

Tony Stark is supposed to be a jet setting millionare playboy, Rob Lowe could easily play that part. No official announcements are expected for a while but it has been reported that Iron Man is slated to start production in 2005.

Thanks to 'Jessica'

Lowe might actually be a good choice, because, much like the guy who's been cast to play Superman, he doesn't bring much stardom (at least recent stardom) or baggage to the picture.

But the person who plays Iron-Man would have to bring star power, and a lot of it. It's not an issue with Superman. Everybody knows who Superman is.

Cruise is a great aging drunk who happens to be a hero. Maybe Ethan Hawke (though I think he's a little too young for regular Iron-Man, could work for the Ultimate version though).

Lowe might actually be a good choice, because, much like the guy who's been cast to play Superman, he doesn't bring much stardom (at least recent stardom) or baggage to the picture.

But the person who plays Iron-Man would have to bring star power, and a lot of it. It's not an issue with Superman. Everybody knows who Superman is.

Cruise is a great aging drunk who happens to be a hero. Maybe Ethan Hawke (though I think he's a little too young for regular Iron-Man, could work for the Ultimate version though).

I agree that it needs a star. Which is why I said Brad Pitt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
"It's not happening. Not with me," Cruise told reporters during a break in filming on the set of his current movie, War of the Worlds, in Piru, Calif. "They ... came to me at a certain point, and you know, when I do something, I want to do it right. And, you know, if I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it's going to be something special. And that ... as it was lining up, it just didn't feel to me like it was going to work."

Oh well, no big loss. His comment at the end, however, suggest that the script sucks or that he's too good to do a comic book movie.

• 1 month later...