Episode 359

RSS

There's a focus on the new this week as Desmond and Darryll take in a viewing of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and then dive into an insane, freeform discussion on apes in pop culture. Then, listener Al from Halifax sends in a thoughtful review of the first season of the Showtime series Penny Dreadful. There's some simian music, too: "With Man Gone, Will There Be Hope for Gorilla?" by Starvist, "The Apes of Wrath" by GWAR, "London Dungeon" by Ghoultown, and "Simianimal" by Anacondas. [ 1:25:55 || 41.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_359.mp3

Great review, fellows. Until mid-May, when I finally saw and fell in love with Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I wasn't planning on seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Your review, even the honest criticism, makes me want to see it even more. Sadly, finances make it look like I'll have to wait 'til it's on Blu-ray.

I love the phrase "Nolan-up" (I think it was) when it comes to the use of Gary Oldman. Though I genuinely do like the 2014 RoboCop and I enjoy what Oldman brought to the role, it did seem like he was there not for his name, but rather his association with the Dark Knight movies. Which is a damn shame.

When it comes to a possible third movie, the studio has announced one, and I'd like to see it link this franchise with the original. Thus far, nothing seems to contradict the events of Planet of the Apes; there are even nods to it, such as the Icarus mission. We'll see how they play that out, though.

Lastly, here's the video of which Darryll spoke. It was a viral clip created by 20th Century Fox to promote Rise of the Planet of the Apes: