Episode 159 - The Woman Who Fell to Earth

RSS

Jodie Whittaker makes her debut as The Doctor in "The Woman Who Fell to Earth," and along the way she meets four new friends: Grace, Graham, Ryan, and Yasmin. Together they team-up to prevent the nefarious Tzim-Sha from abducting a human trophy. But at what cost? [ 59:14 || 48.6 MB ]

Dan nailed my feelings on Jodie from after watching this first ep, and most of what I've seen from her subsequent season. She's solid and has that Doctor-ish "X" factor quality, but I want to see her more determined and a little more badass. I don't miss Moffat's "The Doctor will kill you so hard whenever he's mad enough to feel like it" BDE because that was unending, but at the same time I want to see that heroic determination that most protagonists have.

And I see the balancing act of either employing some toxic characterization or airing on the side closer to pacifism, but there has to be a better equilibrium to strike. I like Jodie, but I think how she's written feels too familiar to Tennant or Smith, or at least it did for a while.