The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #1-2

RSS

Some might suggest that it's unfair to review half a story. And that's true. After all, had I only read issues 148 and 149 of Robin, there's no doubt in my mind that the final score would have been around an eight. As it stands, however, I also read 150 and 151; those two books were so horrendous that they drastically sliced into my initial score. So the opposite could be true with The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive: while I've been turned off by the first two issues, the conclusion could turn everything around. But frankly, I'm not sticking around to find out.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/dc/misc/flash-in-a-bottle

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Flash is a character that, for the most part, has been poorly handled in his own book. Johns' run, although considered essential, was a small collection of moments that were pretty good in a hugely impenetrable story that eventually went nowhere.

Flash is one of my favourite characters when he is in team books or events like Crisis or Legends, he just isn't handled well as a solo character.

I always say the best Flash story was the Quicksilver focused issue of X-Factor that Peter David wrote.

What kills me is that this is Bart freaking Allen! Powers or not, he's out there to have exciting, impulsive adventures... hence his former nom de plume. As a longtime fan of the character, the fact that they made him a cranky, whiney, "I don't want my powers anymore" crybaby cuts me deep!

And what the hell happened to the DCU? I thought IC was supposed to bring some much-needed light and joviality back to the universe. But since the conclusion of that series, Cassandra Cain has turned rogue, Bart Allen is a bitch, Selina Kyle's baby has been held at gunpoint, Superboy's death has caused Robin to fall deep into despair and so on.

What kills me is that this is Bart freaking Allen! Powers or not, he's out there to have exciting, impulsive adventures... hence his former nom de plume. As a longtime fan of the character, the fact that they made him a cranky, whiney, "I don't want my powers anymore" crybaby cuts me deep!

And what the hell happened to the DCU? I thought IC was supposed to bring some much-needed light and joviality back to the universe. But since the conclusion of that series, Cassandra Cain has turned rogue, Bart Allen is a bitch, Selina Kyle's baby has been held at gunpoint, Superboy's death has caused Robin to fall deep into despair and so on.

I don't know, I've only been reading 52. The only OYL titles I'll be picking up are Teen Titans, Secret Six and Grant Morison's Batman.