Yoda give us a bigger rant about DCs faults at con

mguy1977

I'll hold my rant until you guys have had a chance to hear both the Vertigo and WildStorm panels. It wouldn't be fair to rant beforehand; I'll save that for our WWC recap show.

I will say this, however: it pains me to see DC treat their fans with such disregard. While I'm not the biggest DC fan in the world -- I do read a handful of their titles and just recently got into several others (i.e. Legion of Super-Heroes, Jonah Hex, Superman) -- even I feel slighted by them. As a way to show my frustration, I'm thinking about writing Dan DiDio a letter letting him know why I'm aggravated and that I will not support DC until I see their Vertigo creators and editors (and Bob Wayne) making an effort to embrace the fans. (At the earliest this would be Wizard World Texas.)

In truth, it was mostly Bob Wayne who put me off. He always has, but this weekend he seemed to be like, "Why the fuck am I here?" Sure, Will, Brian and the other Vertigo guys (save Brian Azzarello) didn't help, but Wayne was the worst offender.

Is it fair to punish all of DC (including WildStorm) for the actions of their VP of Sales and a handful of Vertigo creators? Maybe, maybe not. That's where I'm conflicted.

I'll hold my rant until you guys have had a chance to hear both the Vertigo and WildStorm panels. It wouldn't be fair to rant beforehand; I'll save that for our WWC recap show.

I will say this, however: it pains me to see DC treat their fans with such disregard. While I'm not the biggest DC fan in the world -- I do read a handful of their titles and just recently got into several others (i.e. Legion of Super-Heroes, Jonah Hex, Superman) -- even I feel slighted by them. As a way to show my frustration, I'm thinking about writing Dan DiDio a letter letting him know why I'm aggravated and that I will not support DC until I see their Vertigo creators and editors (and Bob Wayne) making an effort to embrace the fans. (At the earliest this would be Wizard World Texas.)

In truth, it was mostly Bob Wayne who put me off. He always has, but this weekend he seemed to be like, "Why the fuck am I here?" Sure, Will, Brian and the other Vertigo guys (save Brian Azzarello) didn't help, but Wayne was the worst offender.

Is it fair to punish all of DC (including WildStorm) for the actions of their VP of Sales and a handful of Vertigo creators? Maybe, maybe not. That's where I'm conflicted.

Please provide a address for Big Dan at DC to give him a piece of our minds.

Matthew

I had a similar experience in the early 90s at a San Diego Con. I attended the DC Vertigo panel and was disgusted to see that even though they had a lot of creators up there, most of them hardly participated, only doing so when they were asked a direct question, and then with very short answers. They all had dark glasses on, and appeared to be hung over or stoned. The panel had absolutely no energy, and was a great disappointment. I was so disgusted I wrote group editor Karen Berger a letter of complaint. I never heard back, though I found that even though I didn't make a conscious decision to do so, I quite buying most Vertigo books.

On the other hand, I recently attended the Fables panel in San Diego and was really impressed by the enthusiasm of that group of creators, and by the fact that during the panel they passed a big stack of Fables number fifty down the line, each signing it, and then distributing the comics to the audience. Everyone got one. I thought that was a cool thing to do, and because of it I've ordered some of the Fables trades I'd missed.

Lynn

I should note that, from what I saw, the DC Universe creators and editors were very friendly and engaging. So I don't want people to think I'm griping about them. It was primarily the "we're too cool to be here" Vertigo guys... save Brian Azzarello. (For the first time ever he actually seemed chipper.) As you said Lynn, no one spoke unless they were directly spoken too, and even then it seemed like a hassle.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.