Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

RSS

With Jak and Daxter, Naughty Dog basically retreads over the successes of their past, stopping to make a few necessary tweaks that had been sorely lacking in previous efforts along the way. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. At a glance, the game presents nothing all that noteworthy: a gratingly bubbly cartoonish cast, a story pulled right out of a coloring book, bright and shiny graphics to match, the existence of an occasional power-up and a large cluster of bottomless pits.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/v/jak-and-daxter

Quite a good review. You really went into a fair amount of detail. I'm curious though about what you thouhgt about the two sequals DRQ, since the series took a very dark turn from the next game onwards. Giving the title character a goatee, making the use of guns a major part of the gameplay as well as having alot more driving. I'll admit I'm not a fan of the series myself but my brother is quite fond of it, and from what I've seen and played the next two installments are pretty big improvements.

Yikes, harsh. Easily the worst game in the Jak trilogy and I agree on most accounts: despite the forgettable story, gameplay was still quite solid. I doubt the graphics and sound have stood the test of time, but then it was released in the first year of the PS2, right? Still, I don't think it was that bad as to bring down the game that much.

The article itself was a great, in-depth analysis. Good breakdown of the game and picking each piece of the platformer apart.