Reel Dread: Sprechen Sie Scary?

RSS

After last week's introductory column I wracked my brain wondering where to start with my first article of content. Would I do a movie review? That would, in my mind, automatically pigeonhole this as a review column. It's not. Would I do a retrospective of a particular director or genre? No, but that will all come later. Instead, I will start at the very roots of horror, and filmmaking for that matter.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/reel-dread-02

They always say you should leave your audience wanting more, but in this case, Des, I felt like I wanted too much more. In 1000 words you discussed five films. As such, this episode of RD felt like surface coverage of a much deeper subject. I'd like to see you roll up your sleeves and really dig into these individual films, as well as the German film movement.

Yeah, it was somewhat intentional.

At some point I'll dive into Nosferatu and it's effect on the modern vampire film. I'll definitely do a sleep-deprived essay on Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Metropolis will be coverd in my first SciFi column (not sure when that'll come around), M will certainly have it's own column as I have a huge attachment to that.

I wanted to scratch the surface and dreg up som interest in these movies at least superficially. People! Go anmd download these. All except M are free of copyright (I think). Public domain movies kick all kinds of bum.

Thanks for the critique. I welcome it from you and anybody else for that matter. November gets much more specific.