Something Old, Something New: The Boys #3 and Gen13 #1

RSS

I see everywhere pros call Ennis the best writer in the business. Besides Preacher and War Story, I see no evidence of this whatsoever. It's ultraviolent mediocrity everywhere else. Punisher was good but the formula isn't even being hidden with innovation anymore. It has become "look at the evil bastard Punisher is going to kill his way to over these 6 over-priced issues. I'm dropping it when the current run is done.

Gen-13 has always been kind of vapid to me. Bobby has always been a lifeless robot. The characters: 2D. IO: big bad corporation. Parents: murdered. I certainly hope the dialogue isn't being written like it was a dozen years ago...

I'm liking this column, Mike.

Punisher was good but the formula isn't even being hidden with innovation anymore. It has become "look at the evil bastard Punisher is going to kill his way to over these 6 over-priced issues. I'm dropping it when the current run is done.

Agreed. Some single issue, Ennis-written Punisher stories would help revive the book. Hell, some of his best Punisher work has been The Cell, The End and Tyger... all of which are one-shots.

Gen-13 has always been kind of vapid to me. Bobby has always been a lifeless robot. The characters: 2D. IO: big bad corporation. Parents: murdered. I certainly hope the dialogue isn't being written like it was a dozen years ago...

You know... I only recall one line from the book, so I can't say.

I'm liking this column, Mike.

Thanks. It's fun because it gives me an excuse to read comics I wouldn't have otherwise. While some have pleasantly surprised me (such as Doctor Strange: The Oath), most have been a disappointment. Either way, it gets me reading different books.

Speaking of which, if there are any books y'all would like me to review in an upcoming SOSN, send me a PM or e-mail.