If I Ran Marvel, part four: New Mutants through Young Avengers

RSS

<applause>

Well done, sir. I both love and hate this series. Love it because of the great ideas and the well-needed shot in the arm it would give Marvel.

I hate it because I actually get excited about some of the stuff you're talking about...The Ellis Secret War thing? Perfect! Ostrander on Omega Flight? Gold! Suicide Squad remains my favourite series of all-time and I consider it the first modern comic series. Of course, a nice long run by Ostrander on OF would allow me the time to establish myself in the industry and take over for him when he leaves;)

What If? I'd love to see it back but I'm not sure if I'd like to see 6 issue runs, especially by Ennis who seems to decompress everything so much these days you can barely get through a character tying their shoelaces before the issue is over. I like the tight stories of the older What If?'s (IE: What if Vision destroyed the Avengers?, and What if the Second Richards child had lived? or whatever it was called.)

I anxiously await the DC version. Seeing as you're a little biased towards Marvel (something I've picked up, I might be wrong) I'm expecting even better shake-ups.

This one kicked my ass! At first I wasn't sure why, but then I figured it out: nine of the books in part four were team books (or would feature a ton of characters in the case of The Secret Wars). It's easy to say, "This creative team would be perfect for [insert character]," 'cause they'd only have to focus on one character and his / her supporting cast. There's much more to consider when staffing a team book: maybe a great writer isn't at his best when writing teams, maybe his style would only fit one or two of the characters, it's possible the artist's pages become a bit too cluttered during big battles, etc. My brain is fried!

What If? I'd love to see it back but I'm not sure if I'd like to see 6 issue runs, especially by Ennis who seems to decompress everything so much these days you can barely get through a character tying their shoelaces before the issue is over. I like the tight stories of the older What If?'s (IE: What if Vision destroyed the Avengers?, and What if the Second Richards child had lived? or whatever it was called.)

Though I see your concern, not every story would be six issues. In the example I used, the point of divergence picks up near the end of Ennis' original story. So he may want no more than three issues to tell his "what if?".

I anxiously await the DC version. Seeing as you're a little biased towards Marvel (something I've picked up, I might be wrong) I'm expecting even better shake-ups.

Yup, I'm a Marvel Zombie to the core; come December, the only DC title I'll be reading is Robin. (But that's really due to money... or the lack thereof.) Whereas the Marvel article was to show my love for Marvel's various comics, the DC portion will be more like "this is what it would take to get me to read more DC books." Here's something I haven't said as it pertains to the DC article: it will technically be parts five through eight of this series. Meaning I can't put, say, George Perez on JLA (as I'm want to do) because he's already drawing The Avengers for Marvel. So this is where rules three and four will come into play.

Right on. Not including Vertigo and Wildstorm, the DC I'm reading is JLofA, Teen Titans, Morrison's Batman (done this month), the All-Star books and 52. And I consider myself more of a DC fan. At least I did.

I'll be dropping JLofA after the first arc if it continues the way it's going and I'm only buying Batman because it's Morrison and because it's the sequel to my favourite Batman story of all time. ASB&RtBW is dropped as of now (one issue a year is reserved only for Planetary and Ultimates 2).

I fully believe that All Star Superman is the best superhero comic being published today, and maybe ever.

I really enjoyed this series. I'd say "Do more stuff like this in the future, please," but there's really only one other one you could do (though I guess Dark Horse and Image could each get a short one or something).

I keep fighting the urge post creators I feel got "left out," but that wouldn't be fair since they might have something important to do in your DC column.