Powers and Kabuki to Marvel!

Missy

ICON IMPRINT LAUNCHES THIS JULY WITH KABUKI, POWERS!

Marvel Comics announces the launch of ICON, a new publishing imprint that will produce projects utilizing properties outside of the Marvel Universe.

ICON will launch with two titles fans are already familiar with: Brian Bendis' "Powers" and David Mack's "Kabuki."

Marvel is not new to publishing licensed properties. It has had a successful history with such classic licenses as GI Joe and Transformers. However, Marvel, which works with the top talent in the comic industry, has long been considering ways to offer its creators a home not just for their Marvel projects, but for their other work. The new ICON imprint has been created with a mandate to pursue both these creator and licensed projects, while maintaining the highest level of talent and the brands that readers have come to expect from Marvel.

Dan Buckley, Publisher, said, "We had been considering this kind of imprint for a while before talking to Brian and David. But once we did, everything fell into place. Starting with Brian and David on Power's and Kabuki really sets the standard for the whole line. We are very excited about this initiative, and are thrilled that Powers and Kabuki are launching it."

Bendis offered, “We have always said that we have benefited so much from the generations of comic creators before us who worked so hard to pave the way for creator rights. We have had it so good and we are stunned that we get to help take it to the next level... Marvels first true creator-owned imprint.”

Said David Mack regarding Marvel Comics’ Editor-in-Chief , Publisher and President of Publishing, “Bravo to Joe, Dan and Gui for making this happen!”

(source)

WOW! Fucking wow! :OMG:

Hmm...see, I was perfectly happy with Powers being where it was. While I agree this is news, why is it good news? If anything, surely it just means that we're likely to get less underage watersport action.......

It means we are going to get random Spiderman appearances and if anyone needs a lawyer, it's going to be Matt Murdock.

Hmm...see, I was perfectly happy with Powers being where it was. While I agree this is news, why is it good news? If anything, surely it just means that we're likely to get less underage watersport action.......

It means we are going to get random Spiderman appearances and if anyone needs a lawyer, it's going to be Matt Murdock.

By licensed products, that doesn't mean they'll be bringing them into Marvel Continuity. Quite right, as well - that would suck completely. But does this mean that BMB is now totally Marvel-exclusive? If so, it's a good thing for Marvel, but is it a good thing for other comics?

01. It's a good thing for comics, because Marvel finally has a creator-owned imprint.

02. It surely means more money for Bendis and Mack. Why else would they uproot their titles? Why is this good? More money equals more respect for creators. And more respect is exactly what creators need. Remember, Image was formed because seven guys didn't think they were getting enough respect. Marvel is making sure they don't create more competition. Call it a good thing for creators, or call it business smarts -- either way I like it.

03. Why will we suddenly get less of what we're used to? It's creator owned, meaning the creators can do whatever they want. Nothing will change -- trust me.

04. There will be no random Marvel superhero appearances. Wonder Woman doesn't pop up in Y - The Last Man, so The Punisher won't join forces with Walker.

I wonder how comfortable Marvel will be with publishing monkey fucking and outer space titty-cooch scenes.

Marvel realizes that the average age of the comic book reader is roughly 24, and that the stigma of comics being for kids is dying. Adults want comics for adults, and this is a keen business move on Marvel's part to fill that need.