EA buys BioWare and Pandemic Studios

JackFetch

I am PISSED about this. What the hell does this spell for a project like Dragon Age? EA has fucked over Westwood with deadlines (see: C&C:Generals), now they're going to do it to my favorite developer. This is unacceptable. Luckily the first Mass Effect won't be affected, but I'm very nervous about future BioWare games.

I thought the whole reason BioWare and Pandemic banded together was to prevent something like this, but I guess not (or it just didn't work).

Overreaction without research is fun!

Pandemic and BioWare aren't being brought in to be in in house studios. It's not a Bunie/MS or EA/Redwood situation where they are going to be brought in to work on EA projects. They are staying independent and EA has said themselves that they want things to keep being run the way they are.

Overreaction without research is fun!

Pandemic and BioWare aren't being brought in to be in in house studios. It's not a Bunie/MS or EA/Redwood situation where they are going to be brought in to work on EA projects. They are staying independent and EA has said themselves that they want things to keep being run the way they are.

I read the transcript. And if you note, I didn't ever say they would work on EA projects. I implied that the financial realities of having to report to a parent corporation will likely result in the release of games not up to BioWare and Pandemic's (well, BioWare, Mercenaries was a ton of fun, but I don't care much about Pandemic) previous quality standards due to needing to hit holiday seasons and stuff. Tiburon and Westwood both were allowed to stay independent for awhile (Tiburon has since become part of the fold entirely). Westwood still works on its own IPs, but EA has forced them to release a major title before it was "done."

I probably overreacted a little, because BioWare is my favorite developer, and I hate EA, but my fears are not without precedent. I really hope they'll stay just that, fears. Westwood has been allowed to stay as a primarily PC developer, at least.

Really, the only thing that worries me is that Bioware does not hurry their games. They take their time and don't set release dates until the game is almost done. EA likes to rush things out the door whether they are done(or good) or not. EA can say whatever they want, but you know they will be involved in the decision making and Bioware will not be allowed to just do whatever they want. It is EA's money at stake now.