Dr Who

Do you know much about Dr Who? British Sci-Fi series that ran for 25 years, and has been cancelled since then. It's recently been confirmed that they are making a new series, and there's exciting news.

They've cast Chris Eccleston (Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later) as The Doctor....my personal choice would have been Anthony Stewart Head, but this is a damn good choice nonetheless...and it's being overseen by the guy who created 'Queer as Folk', which was an awesome show.

Are people interested in this? Do you know anything about it?

Being an American, I've had little access to Doctor Who -- though I did see that Doctor Who: The Movie that Fox made in 1996 -- but Chris Eccleston as the Doctor will be very interesting. Especially considering his role in 28 Days Later.

Question: Is he the eighth doctor, or will they count him as the ninth? I only ask because the guy in Doctor Who: The Movie was supposed to be the eighth when the movie lead to a show, but it was so bad the show was never made. So, do fans ignore him, or do they consider The Movie as part of DW continuity? (Hence making Eccleston #9.)

Being an American, I've had little access to Doctor Who -- though I did see that Doctor Who: The Movie that Fox made in 1996 -- but Chris Eccleston as the Doctor will be very interesting. Especially considering his role in 28 Days Later.

Question: Is he the eighth doctor, or will they count him as the ninth? I only ask because the guy in Doctor Who: The Movie was supposed to be the eighth when the movie lead to a show, but it was so bad the show was never made. So, do fans ignore him, or do they consider The Movie as part of DW continuity? (Hence making Eccleston #9.)

They haven't confirmed. I believe that Russel T Davies (the new writer) HATES the Paul McGann movie - according to a line from Queer as folk - but he takes it seriously enough that the novels that spun off from the movie will probably be part of the 'gospel'.

Here is a link to some free web episodes. Check out the stories, including the Richard E Grant one.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And another bump. I will not be the only one that cares about this, I swear it!

The pilot episode for the new series has been leaked, and is on various torrent sites.

It's well worth it. Here's two reasons why you should care.

This is the longest running sci-fi series in history. It pre-dates Star Trek. Also, it's the first new episode (crap movie aside) since 1989.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, it was front page news over here. Basically, Ecclestone (who is generally a very serious actor) has said he doesn't want to be typecast, and so the BBC are making the rumour that they're going to cast the guy from 'Casanova' (BBC show currently showing).

Now, a rumour that I've heard from within is that this was the plan all along. The writers wanted to have a regeneration story early on, but the story broke earlier than they were expecting. (For those not in the know, Time Lords have twelve regenerations, which handily explain any cast changes).