Trying out the cut & grad style. Whatchu think?

RHughes

I was sent this character pin-up so that I could work up the color scheme for him. He'll be a villain in the Fallen Justice mini-series that I'm working on. I figured a character shot would be as good a time as any to take my first shot at the cut-&grad style. So, what do you think? What do I need to work on? I liked the experience and am pleased with the results, but I'm sure I'm missing something, so let me have it.

Lines by Harold Edge

Colors by me

zigzag.jpg

The background is very cool. I like how the floor actually looks a bit 3-D.

However, the character doesn't look like a villain to me. You might want to drop some ominous shadows or lighting on him, otherwise there's nothing that screams "bad guy" here.

The background is very cool. I like how the floor actually looks a bit 3-D.

Pretty easy to create actually. The shapes are just a brush that I have, but then I sectioned off part of the bottom with the rectangular marquee tool and then went to the transformation menu and adjusted the perspective.

I actually had a bigger problem with the heroic stance and lack of evil in his expression more than the color scheme. The scheme itself will darken a bit when it actually comes time to color him for the book. I was more working out what I, the artist, and the boss wanted as far as a general look. Knowing the creator the way I do, there will be no doubt that this guy is dastardly. :happy:

Made a couple of changes and pushed the background back so it wouldn't be so distracting.

zigzag2.jpg