Episode 193

RSS

This week Des and Mike took a look at Fantastic Four #554 (the first of 16 issues by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch), Fantastic Four: The Lost Adventure (a hidden "gem" by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and friends), Ghost Rider #20 (in which Jason Aaron and Roland Boschi began their run), Marvel Adventures Hulk #8 (starring the Defenders) and Punisher: Force of Nature (wherein the Punisher stalks three men lost at sea). [ 1:00:26 || 27.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_193.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up that Ghost Rider #20 this past week, and finally sat down and read it tonight. I have to say, were you guys even reading the same comic as me ? Ghost Rider # 20 was fucking awesome. It was just total balls to wall badassery. This should of been an "add to your pull list" pick, not a flip-through or whatever the hell you guys gave it.

That wasn't Ghost Rider, it was Preacher with a flaming skull and zero balls.

The whole "taking the fight to God" thing was awesome a decade ago but now it's just sitting on Ennis' dick. There was something about that book that was wanting so bad to be original. It didn't work out. I expected more from Aaron because he's capable of brilliance and that was just there.

The whole "taking the fight to God" thing was awesome a decade ago but now it's just sitting on Ennis' dick. There was something about that book that was wanting so bad to be original. It didn't work out. I expected more from Aaron because he's capable of brilliance and that was just there.

Put me in the camp of people that thought Preacher was overrated crap. Also put me in the camp of people that have always thought Ghost Rider was a stupid character.

The thing about this book is that it's one of the first times in a long time where i have felt a writer has come on a book with a clear distinct voice, and a new direction right off that bat. Tim Callahan had said that this felt like when Grant Morrison took over Doom Patrol, and i have to agree. Also, why the book might not be "original" like you claim, and i would agree with you there, but it certainly is "different".

Put me in the camp of people that thought Preacher was overrated crap. Also put me in the camp of people that have always thought Ghost Rider was a stupid character.

The thing about this book is that it's one of the first times in a long time where i have felt a writer has come on a book with a clear distinct voice, and a new direction right off that bat. Tim Callahan had said that this felt like when Grant Morrison took over Doom Patrol, and i have to agree. Also, why the book might not be "original" like you claim, and i would agree with you there, but it certainly is "different".

But it's not different. It's the same Johnny Blaze only n ow they're saying he's an angel and he's after God. There's no different. And like Mike said, they're going to Mephisto it anyway and make it like it used to be.

I'll agree about when Morrison took over DP about being different, but comparing these two, in my eyes, is a slap in the face of Morrison's DP run.

I'll agree about when Morrison took over DP about being different, but comparing these two, in my eyes, is a slap in the face of Morrison's DP run.

i don't see how it is a slap in the face to Morrison's DP run, in saying that in one series a writer took a similar approach in his first issue on a series as Morrison did without actually doing the same thing as he did. I am only comparing first issues of a writer on a run of an established title. Jason still has a long run to come on Ghost Rider, who's to say if my opinion will change with the next issue or your opinion will change with the next issue, i sure as hell don't know but i am really excited to find out.

I see what you're saying, I just don't think that Aaron's Robert Rodriguez-esque take on GR is much of a departure. Morrison's DP was such a deviation that it was jarring, brilliant but jarring. This take is simply a hyper-realization of what's been done and done again. We'll have to see but that will only be in IIWY if we follow it (Mike holds the sway in what we select so that is up to him) I just won't be buying it.