Blizzard's new MMO

JackFetch

Despite ongoing efforts with StarCraft II, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King and Diablo III, PC developer Blizzard has confirmed that it has another MMO in the works.

"There is still one unknown project," Blizzard executive VP Rob Pardo revealed to OnlineWelten during the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational. "We have another development team."

Pardo affirmed that Blizzard's recent job listings for an "unannounced next-gen MMO" were not related to Diablo III. The company had previously stated that the project was not a World of Warcraft expansion either.

Fans have long speculated that Blizzard may follow the ultra-successful World of Warcraft with a World of StarCraft MMO. The three-faction scenario and multi-world setting would seem to lend itself well to the MMO format.

Others believe that the project could be a new franchise, as Blizzard has not created a new property since StarCraft's release in 1998.

"The idea of a new franchise is very intriguing to employees of the company," said Blizzard chief operating officer Paul Sams to Gamasutra in a recent interview. "Are we ever going to release a new one? I would absolutely say we will at some point. I just don't know when that day will be quite yet."

And as for a release date on any of the three known titles? "We ship the games when they're ready," Pardo commented. "You guys know this."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53406

I demand a Lost Vikings MMO.

Also, I doubt they're stretched too thin. Wrath of the Lich King just requires the artists and level designers really, I doubt it will present any fundamental mechanical changes to the game, so the coders can be working on the new MMO, getting the engine ready for the others to step in. Diablo III's the question mark for me, since a bunch of that crew (Blizzard North) jumped ship to make Hellgate: London.

A StarCraft MMO would suck. How would you play part of a hive mind?

Wrath of the Lich King is almost done, so it's not like that's a problem. By this holiday season that whole group will be moved to other projects already being worked on. Most of the stuff they have coming that we know about has been in production for awhile.

It probably will be Galaxy of Starcraft(or something similar) since that would easily fit right into the WoW style.