Episode 109

RSS

In this episode of Dread Media, Desmond and Darryll sit down and chat about the recent release from Anchor Bay, Grace. Then Desmond goes solo on Killing Ariel. There's a little bit of ranting, a little bit of feedback, a final request for contest entries, and some tunes: "Grace" by Apocalyptica, "Dead Babies" by Alice Cooper, "Used to Love Her" by Guns N Roses, and "People Who Died" by The Jim Carroll Band. RIP Jim Carroll. [ 1:10:45 || 32.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_109.mp3

I agree, but I'm not sure why it is. I had chalked it up to my own tiredness but it seems we both experienced the same dilemma. When we started doing these reviews together I came to the conclusion, fairly quickly, that it's easy to pan a bad film and it's easy to gush over a great film but it's hard to review an ok film. These two recent films are actually quite good but something just holds them back from being great. For me, and I think I touch on this in both reviews, it's perhaps the writing. I can't help thinking a couple more passes through the rewrite machine could have sharpened both films to a finer edge.

In the case of Grace, this was a tough one, maybe a couple more scenes involving the mom and the mother-in-law in face to face conflicts of will would have hightened the drama? I dunno. That could easily tip it into cheese as well. Perhaps the dinner scene at the beginning could have done a better job at establishing the personality conflict between them. Instead, the scene focuses on the food at the table to illustrate their differences. A stylistic choice that kinda' muddies the water when pointed dialogue, sharply delivered could have done the job more effectively.

In the case of Grace, this was a tough one, maybe a couple more scenes involving the mom and the mother-in-law in face to face conflicts of will would have hightened the drama? I dunno. That could easily tip it into cheese as well. Perhaps the dinner scene at the beginning could have done a better job at establishing the personality conflict between them. Instead, the scene focuses on the food at the table to illustrate their differences. A stylistic choice that kinda' muddies the water when pointed dialogue, sharply delivered could have done the job more effectively.

See, and there I have to disagree. I think that the passive aggressive approach to that relationship offered a realism too often neglected in film, especially genre film. It's stuff like that that sells the crazy stuff and the weird psychosexual stuff in the rest of the film.

Yeah, you're right to an extent. The passive/aggressive approach was indeed the right way to go but the use of the slimy veggies as a visual shorthand to define their differences struck me as going only part of the way with their characters.

"She serves natural health foods that are slimy so she's a progressive hippy earth-mother. Mother-in-law turns her nose up at the hippy food and speaks of the miracle of modern medicine. She's so stiff and old fashioned. These two will never see eye to eye. You can tell by the prickly faces they make at each other."

Pretty shallow, if you ask me. I would rather see characters developed through smart dialogue that reveals depths beyond their stereotypical facades. I just found myself floating on the surface of this story, unable see past some of the stylistic flotsam and jetsam.

Remember a flick by Cronenberg called Dead Ringers? There was a psychosexual thriller with smart writing and sharp dialogue. Just because your characters are passive/aggressive doesn't mean they shouldn't have anything to say.

How dare you argue with me! Have at thee!

I agree. I think it was too quiet a movie altogether. Sometimes that really works (Dead Man's Shoes) other times it makes it difficult to get into the characters. Everyone was experiencing their own sort of solitude. Too many shots of loneliness, not enough talky talk. We both agree on that.