Will Eisner dead at 87

Missy

It's my sad duty to report that comic book legend Will Eisner passed away Monday due to complications stemming from his recent open heart surgery.

Eisner's contributions to the industry reach far beyond the creation of The Spirit and his coining of the term graphic novel. His seven decades as a professional and the high quality of his work set a standard that every comic book creator hopes to achieve. He will be missed dearly.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his name to either the American Cancer Society or The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

Condolences may be sent to:

Will Eisner Studios

8333 W. McNab Road

Tamarac, FL 33321

Wow. I can't begin to tell you how much this sucks. Shit.

Eisner knew how to tell a story through comics better than probably anyone else, and I mean ever. His books on storytelling and narrative should be required reading to everyone, and any one of his graphic novels is a gem. There's just so much of his work that most people never even hear about it, but it's all beautiful stuff.

This just about ruined my day, jeez. Took me about half an hour just to write down that one paragraph, just because I'm finding it hard to put into words how sad this really is.

Rest in peace.