Episode 215

RSS

Remember when I told you I'd podcast you last? I lied! This week Desmond and Darryll sit through a gory action double feature extravaganza across the ages. First up, the bizarre 1980 revenge-driven vigilante piece The Exterminator. Then 2009's Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren vehicle, Universal Soldier: Regeneration! These songs will get you in the mood for carnage: "Opening Titles (The Exterminator)" by Joe Renzetti, "Exterminate!" by Amen, "New Model No. 15" by Marilyn Manson, and "Punishment" by Biohazard. What the hell are you doing reading this? Listen! [ 1:18:02 || 37.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_215.mp3

Thanks for covering Universal Soldier: Regeneration. I LOVE THAT MOVIE! Also, you mentioned Blood and Bone, another favorite DTV movie of mine. It's an excellent throw back to the '90 karate flicks I love. Michael Jai White is a beast in that movie; he's massive. Also, Gina Carano is briefly in it, and my God is she hot! I'm surprised you didn't mention Dolph's Roy Batty moment in U.S.:R., perhaps his finest moment on screen ever. Keep up the good work!

• 5 weeks later...

Because of your enthusiasm for Universal Soldier and Universal Soldier: Regeneration, I finally watched both. And man, these were not what I expected.

First, I thought they were set in the future, with laser guns. That they're contemporary grounded the sci-fi elements. Second, I thought they were going to be big, dumb action movies. And they are big, but the way they examine what it means to be a soldier (RE: orders), they're far from dumb. They're not super smart, but they do make you think a little. And third, Jesus Christ! Dolph Lundgren can act? In the original, there were times I actually felt bad for the guy.

Oh, and the cliffhanger for Regeneration nearly made me cheer. It's what I was hoping would happen, but then they took it to another level!

I do have a question though. Since Andrew is a clone and there are references to the first movie, then Universal Soldier has not been retconned out. (Unlike, as I understand it, Universal Soldier II, III, and The Return have been.) However, they say Luc "woke up" two years prior. Are we to assume there's only a two-year gap between Universal Soldier and Universal Soldier: Regeneration, or am I missing something?

I thought Darryll brought up the "direct sequel" to the original thing in the review but it may have just been in conversation with him. D-Man is a better person to answer that one...

Glad you liked it! I adored that movie and thought it was better made than any action film in theatres these days on a fraction of the budget.

Master, US:R is a direct sequel to the first UNIVERSAL SOLDIER, disregarding the previous (crap) sequels. Having said that, though, I don't think the filmmakers have adhered very closely to any set timeline. It's a very near future and that's enough.

Also, I think when they say Luc woke up two years ago, they're referring to his time with the doctor and the program to reintegrate him into society, not his rebellion from the first film. It's been years since I saw the first film, though. I may have to revisit it for old times sake.