Episode 534

RSS

Before discussing GI Joe: The Movie, Mike puts the franchise into context. Specifically, he examines why it was needed in the 1980s, and what children of a certain age took away from it. Then he gets into the movie, which is flawed to the core but so much fun! Also, a mind-blowing discovery is made: this isn't a GI Joe cartoon, but something else entirely. [ 39:03 || 19.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_534.mp3

"It was radical!" :lol:

You, sir, have lost your damn mind. This was terrible. The only real downside to G.I. Joe: The Movie is all of it. It utterly ruins Cobra, especially Cobra Commander (even Larry Hama's "used car salesman who went wacky" origin made more sense).

Except for the opening three minutes, which is the dictionary definition of kickass:

Awesome job catching the Pertwee-isms.

Side note: this was originally meant to come out before Transformers: The Movie, in theaters. Sunbow Productions actually asked Hasbro for permission to kill Duke in order to drive Falcon's character growth. Hasbro loved the idea so much, they made them kill Optimus Prime in TF as well. For some reason, that was released first, and when the youth of America (and their mothers, who vote with their dollars) went NUTS, Hasbro quickly scuttled plans for Duke and forced the VERY clumsy rewrite where getting speared through the heart apparently causes you to lapse into a coma, instead. (And when TF tanked HARD, G.I Joe: The Movie suddenly became a TV miniseries instead.)

When I saw The Transformers: The Movie in the theater, even I was like "What the fuck?!" when they killed Optimus Prime, so I can only imagine fans of the program freaking the fuck out!

As for GI Joe: The Movie, it does hurt Cobra. Badly! And it is terribly stupid and has nothing to do with the general premise of the show, but, I don't know, it's like The Room to me: it's so stupid it's awesome!

That opening, though, Christ on a stick! There has never been -- nor will there ever be -- a more awesome three minutes of cinema!

it's so stupid it's awesome!

Okay, yeah. I can get behind that.

That opening, though, Christ on a stick! There has never been -- nor will there ever be -- a more awesome three minutes of cinema!

To this day I watch that opening and get REALLY excited.