Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Delete

This is the new manga by Akira Toriyama. You can the first chapter here.

http://www.vizmanga.com/reader/1140-weekly-shonen-jump-previews-5

There were hints in the first chapter that this takes place in the Dragon World and that has now been confirmed

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/07/16/jaco-the-galactic-patrolmans-tie-in-with-dragon-ball-confirmed/

There is speculation that this is a prequel because one of the hints is that this is going 11 chapters and the first chapter is numbered DB minus 11 and a reference to the reason that Jaco has come to Earth is that an alien threat is on the way. The theory being that threat is baby Goku.

Also Toriyama says this will be his final manga and adds that the reason for the nostalgic look will be a surprise. Which Weekly Shonen Jump promptly spoiled so they could advertise it as new Dragon Ball.

NafWdgV.jpg

I sometimes wish Toriyama would not set everything together. It worked when Dragonball and Dr. Slump were both happy go lucky parodies but then Dragonball got much darker.

On that thought this one seems to be in the spirit of Dr. Slump. I like his comedy and "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" appears to be a reference to "Bill the Galactic Hero" which is the most famous parody of "Starship Troopers." And since Toriyama does parody so well that people who do not know the original material still find it funny.

I look forward to more.

• 2 months later...