Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Every comic you've read in 2018

Infidel #1: holy shit, this is great.

Justice League of America #26: not how I expected this to go, but a solid end to this arc.

Marvel Two-In-One #4: this is awesome. Really awesome ending too. This is the kind of FF shit I want to see!

Mister Miracle #7: so great.

New Mutants Dead Souls #1: terrible.

Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #3: I like this, but is the web series, just going to be...this? If so, why are they releasing this at all, let alone before the web series comes out.

Old Man Logan #36: still really good.

Peek a Boo #1: this was a fun first issue. Art is inconsistent, great at times, seemingly rushed at others. I like it though.

Pumpkinhead #2: this is fun.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #20: liking this.

Secret Weapons Owen's Story #0: Holy shit. This was a perfect oneshot. Beautifully told story.

Sideways #2: I'm half interested in this and half put off. I don't like a character within the DC Universe referring to another character being "like something out of a Jack Kirby comic book." That bugs me.

Suicide Squad #37: awesome.

Punisher #222: fucking great.

VS #2: this was ok. Not sure if I'll read another. 

Comics: 733

Trades: 21

Graphic Novels: 9

Omnibus: 10

On 7/11/2018 at 10:29 AM, The Master said:

The Flash #50: HE'S BACK, BABY!

dancer.gif

W00T!

The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2018): Just read it. I actually enjoyed it.

This, to me, feels more like the ACTUAL Parker luck. I.E. Peter's life is messed up because he's Spider-Man, not because he's innately a loser. We're (as readers) with Peter the whole time, and he's more appropriately melancholy than Slott's Peter was. It's not a gag comic, it feels like Spider-Man.

And characters like Robbie and Aunt May aren't hating him as much. The Marvel heroes are annoyed at him, but we've seen worse. And he takes down Mysterio and saves the city in one punch.

I'd give this a solid B. Peter being down on his luck is old news, but the execution is much more up my alley.

Superman #1: Weird book. Felt like it ended out of nowhere. I love that J'onn wants Superman to do more and be better.

X-23 #1: Honey Badger is the best. Also, nice nod to HB's future Wolverine suit from Old Woman Laura.

Old Man Logan #43: Having not read their previous encounter, I felt a little lost, but it was till an okay read.

Plastic Man #2: Fun book.

Vampironica #1: Jughead the Hunger is leaving me pretty cold, but I'm digging this right off the bat.

Weapon X #15: this is my jam. Classic Wolverine comics stuff right here.

X-Men Blue #23: this is what Ultimate X and Bloodstorm have been up to while the other XB folk were off fighting symbiotes in space with Venom. Fun.

Archie #29: this will be my last straight Archie comic for a while. It's the same it's always been, maybe a little of the shine is off, but I'm bored of it.

Avengers #685: solid. Why do I like Red Hulk so much?

Babyteeth #9: killer.

Batman #43: this is fucking terrible. God. Poison Ivy is the all-time worst Batman villain.

Damage #3: three issues in to his own series where he was introduced and Damage has already fought Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, and it looks like they're spiralling out into the JL. Cool. How about establishing your character a little bit because this is just Hulk vs. The Marvel Universe with a Hulk that no one gives a shit about. I'm done here.

Death of Love #2: this is weird and fun and I enjoy the art.

Deathbed #2: ehhhh...I'm not really into this.

Evolution #5: still great.

Ice Cream Man #3: this was really cool and weird.

Comics: 745

Graphic Novels: 9

Optic Nerve #1-6: By Adrian Tomine.

A series which may be more familiar to the older members of this site, I'd never heard of it until this week. It's peak 90s Indie-Hipster comics, with all of the black and white rendered writer-artist existential malaise Gen-Xer misery you could ask for. Very much like Ghost World, but unlike that series this title is an anthology with several short stories making up the first few issues, and continuing long-form stories starting with issue #5. Also unlike Ghost World, while the protagonists are often pathetic wrecks of human beings, Tomine does a better job rendering them as understandable and sympathetic instead of detestable like Enid Coleslaw. And honestly, I love 90s hipster comics with all the sadness and minimalist that comes with it. It's a nostalgic vibe I get, because I remember these being around back when I first got into the game. I'd be interested to know what others thought if they've read this series, but for myself I'm really enjoying it and look forward to finishing the last six issues.

Trade Paperbacks: 16

Single Issues: 171

X-Men: Red #6: Still easily the best X-team book out there. Twice now Jean has used her powers on other people without consent. Both times she was doing good, but I hope they make something of this; she cannot be psychically influencing others without blowback.

Jessica Jones #1: A surprise digital-first issue which picks up right where Bendis left off. While some of the tropes are still there -- such as the two-page spread of talking heads -- the dialogue is less Bendisy. At 40-plus pages, it's essentially two issues rolled into one.

Batman #51: In the aftermath of last issue, Bruce is in a bad place -- which makes it the worst time for him to be called for jury duty. Even worse, the case he's assigned calls Batman's legitimacy into question, as Mister Freeze claims he only confessed to a murder spree because an enraged Batman was going to kill him. This issue is mostly setup for the next, but I like what they did with Bruce here. Using very little dialogue, you know everything he's feeling. From his bathroom outburst to his loneliness in the hotel, this is a very broken man.

The Magic Order #2: Mark Millar and Olivier Coipel begin to expand their world, and we get a few more clues as to what's going on.

Tony Stark: Iron Man #2: Character wise, Slott has me hooked into this book. Plot wise, he needs to start moving this somewhere.

Rogue Trooper: Tales of Nu-Earth, volume 1: In truth, I've only read the first 50- or 60-ish pages of this 400-page beast. They're solid, Silver Age-inspired war stories set on an alien world. They're also quite repetitive; reading them all in one sitting was a mistake on my part. For future readings I'll consume maybe two or three stories at a time, rather than pushing through, because these are fun, action-packed, beautifully drawn stories.

Darth Vader Annual #2: This does an excellent job weaving post-Revenge of the Sith continuity into pre-Rogue One continuity, all while setting up the events of Star Wars and giving more depth to Vader and Tarkin. These two men clearly hate each other and would see the other dead in a heartbeat, but for the sake of The Emperor and Empire they cannot harm each other. It's great stuff, and fully explains why Vader is Tarkin's toady up through Star Wars.

Speaking of Vader, he has a brilliant line that parallels Obi-Wan's quote of "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster." Granted, Vader is comparing a lightsaber to the under-construction Death Star, but it's a nice way to demonstrate that Vader very much learned from his former master. Also, more Loyalty Officer Uddra please!

Darth Vader #18: Holy shit! Read this! Tarkin and a team of mercenaries hunt Darth Vader in a game of death. Why they're doing this I will not reveal, as it's a great concept, but I will say this adds so much to Tarkin and Vader. Even more so than the annual mentioned above. I'm grateful to the creative team for making this a single issue; this concept could very easily have been stretched out to a four- or six-issue story, but I don't think it would have been as impactful.

Runaways #1-11: This is the current series, and it is good! Using a time-displaced Gert as the entry point is a brilliant idea. Normally when a creative team uses a gateway character to introduce readers to the other characters, plots, and themes of a story, said gateway character if fully part of the team / group within a few issues. With Gert, however, she missed two whole years of her friends' lives -- during which time they thought she had been killed. Because she had been. They mourned her, made new friends, grew and aged in ways she'll never know. She's still 15; some of them are adults. To her, they are strangers -- shadows of friends at best. So even after 11 full issues, Gert is still an outsider to her family. It's exceptionally powerful writing by Rainbow Rowell.

Kris Anka brings such truth to this pencils There's so much subtlety and exuberance, hidden desires and half-lies, fears and love to every line. His design work is amazing, too. Gert's redesign (#11) is perfect and demonstrates everything she's feeling; Nico's is a maturation of where she started, but still wholly Nico in style and tone; Molly remains the youngest member, but she's clearly aged. Whereas his work on Starlord was sexy and action-packed, here it's grounded most of the time and I cannot think of a better artist to bring this version of The Runaways to life.

Incredible Hulk #714: fuck yes. Great angle on the Hulk. Looking forward to see where the next few issues go before it's rebooted.

Infinity 8 #1: I liked this. A little weird. Kind of Heavy Metal-ish, but a new, interesting angle.

Lucy Dreaming #1: not for me at all.

Ninja-K #5: still great. It has to be with that shitty title.

Superman #43: this is not lighting me on fire. Bizarro stories never have.

Tales of Suspense #103: solid.

The Mighty Thor #705: fuck. Devastating. Still one more issue to go.

Vampirella #11: I'm out.

Weapon H #1: I really enjoyed this.

X-Men Gold #24: solid.

Avengers #686: this was great.

Breathless #1: I spent the first half of this thinking it was stupid, and then I really started to like it. Kind of a bio-medical take on Bright but aliens instead of orcs.

Champions #18: how was this not the last issue of the series?

Cochlea and Eustachia #1: this was fucking weird. I'll do another.

Cyber Force #1: yet another Cyber Force reboot. I like this so far, though. Funny how each reiteration tightens the focus from the original team slowly down to Stryker and Velocity. They know who people give a shit about.

Daredevil #600: holy fuck, this was good.

Detective Comics #977: really good.

Doomsday Clock #4: the last two of three issues of this have bored me to tears and then grabbed me by the end. They need to cut this by like 8 pages an issue and it would be a lot better.

Factory #1: Nooooope.

GI Joe vs. Six Million Dollar Man #2: wow...this is going to hit my best of the year list, I think, which is crazy because I've never seen an episode of SMDM.

Liz and Beth 2: a solid erotica graphic novel.

Comics: 765

Graphic Novels: 10