Best of the Generation: discussion thread

Missy

With the release of the Nintendo Wii, the current video game generation officially ends on 19 November. To celebrate, D.W. has compiled a list of 80 games in total, or 20 from each system. Starting tomorrow, 30 October, the first four polls will open. Every two days another round of polls will begin until we've whittled those 80 games down to four. At that point, two final polls will open on 19 November: Best Game of the Generation and Best Console of the Generation. Winners will be crowned on 24 November.

Please use this thread to discuss the tournament.

Just know that when I made the lists, I had a certain outlook on it. I considered not only how good the game was, but influence in a lot of cases, which actually caused me to include a bunch of games that I don't even personally like that much, but were too important to leave out (Halo 2, San Andreas for example.)

That said, I did manage to fit a few dark horse choices in there.

I consider both game to be incredible, I just thought Melee was a bit better. I loved the sheer insanity of the game and the multiplayer brought me so many hours of fun. If you didn't like it, that's fine. But it has been the best selling Game Cube game of all time, plus the fact that there are actually quite a few people who are a huge fan of the game on this board(Unlike Halo). It has both sales figures and a fan following backing it up, so I see no reason that it couldn't have won.

Resident Evil 4 is an awesome game and truly revolutionised the series. If it had won, I wouldn't have complained one bit. But many have considered Smash Brothers as the game to get on the Game Cube ever since the system launched. So I believe Melee deserves to be up there on all accounts.