Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Missy

Jessica Simpson's father Joe Simpson made the singer promise to stay a virgin until she married, during a ceremony when she was twelve. Simpson Sr, who doubles as Jessica's manager, handed the 24-year-old a promise ring and vowed to be the only man in her life until she married. He explains, "I'm going to tell you how beautiful you are every day. Even when you make a mistake, you are someone special. And I am going to be that person until the day you find a man to do that in my place." Jessica - who married Nick Lachey in October 2002 - then promised she would remain a virgin. Joe adds, "What better gift to give her husband? Never touched by another man."

I understand that her father wanted her to remain pure and protect her from STDs and teenage pregnancy, but the idea of making a ceremony of it and then saying what he did ("What better gift to give her husband? Never touched by another man.") feels creepy.