Episode 570

RSS

After thinking about it, I'd like to see the new trilogy draw on the Expanded Universe's concept of Palpatine having cloned himself. I wouldn't want for him to be the main villain, as I want the new trilogy to tell its own story, but I think it would be a good way to link the three trilogies together since the principal cast are too old to reprise their roles.

I'm planning on rereading Dark Empire I and II, as well as Empire's End, pretty soon, so it's interesting that you've brought that up.

I'd do something where a young Jedi is horrified to learn he's a clone of Palpatine, and he has to fight himself to resist becoming a Sith Lord. There could even be a callback to Star Wars, in an Obi-Wan / Luke sort of way. Meaning, this time around it's Luke who knows this Jedi's roots, and now he's keeping that secret to protect his student.

Even though I bought the first two of those Dark Empire trades I was never able to find Empire's End.

The three trilogies they should draw from are the Thrawn, New Jedi and Dark Empire, they're a great mix of elements between them. I'd like to see one original cast member back but TBH it's not a deal breaker, it could be a hundred years later and that would be fine. One thing that does worry me is the fact that once again we're looking at the downfall of a good society rather than rebellion against evil overlords, so plot wise it'll be closer to the prequels. Gotta try to find a balance so the stories have galactic import but we don't need any damn senate scenes.

I really, really do not like Dark Empire, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, Anakin's redemption arc is predicated upon the idea that he destroyed the Sith. He didn't destroy the Dark Side itself (so there could still be dark Jedi running around), but the Sith themselves were vanquished. To have Palpatine himself return, having never exactly died, removes a good portion of the dramatic impact of Anakin's redemption. Hell, in some ways, it means that a lot of the struggle of the saga meant nothing. Now, if it's something like Mike's idea, where it's a Jedi who is secretly a Palpatine clone (but not the same guy), then that'd be neat.

The other reason I don't like Dark Empire is that it's a horribly-told story. Almost all of the important action is with Luke and the Emperor doing their thing, but the book doesn't give them much actual page presence. Huge important plot and character moments happen entirely off-panel. Instead we get Han and Leia running around with Boba Fett and one of Han's exes for no reason.

I'd actually like to see the Sequel Trilogy focus on a wholly new threat, but draw on the same themes as before. You can still have parallels with the ideas of light, dark, destiny vs choice, redemption, growing up, etc, but have the new generation of Jedi face a new threat. Just like how in the real world, children deal with the same problems that their parents did, but in an entirely different way.

I thought Anakin's redemption was saving the life of his son and rejecting evil. Don't remember much of the actual storytelling in Dark Empire (probably haven't read in in almost ten years) but I remember liking the concepts used in the art, like the steampunk Jedi and the crazy new ships. Actually despite the limited colours used I remember liking the art a lot in general.

It goes back to the fact that Anakin was the Chosen One (which has been confirmed both by Lucas comments and by episodes of The Clone Wars) and was supposed to bring the Force back into balance. He was supposed to have an effect on the entire galaxy, not merely his own family. Stories like the Darth Plagueis novel (which is based off of "official" story notes) says that even one Sith Lord, because of the specific teachings the Sith observe, is enough to severely alter the balance of the Force in the entire galaxy. So for Palpatine to still live implies that Anakin was not, in fact, the chosen one, since he only brought the Force further out of balance by destroying the Jedi and making the Sith more powerful.

The art in Dark Empire is pretty great stuff. It's only the storytelling that I think is crap.

I agree with what I've heard so far. Disney wants to make money from Star Wars, they won't just f-up the franchise, just because they can.

The comment about Lucas and breakfast and saying "Ignore the pancakes in the sink, I always meant to have cereal!" actually had me laughing, as that's how it probably is with him.

Finally, I agree about Crystal Skull, it's a crap film, I just don't understand how people say it ruined Indiana Jones

Loved this episode. Thought a lot of good points were made. Had me laughing at the image of George Lucas making breakfast. Well done.

But I had a thought on a director I'd like to see take on episode VII, Brad Bird. Director of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, The Iron Giant and finally The Incredibles.

The guy has the skills needed for really good action adventure. Knows all about CGI use and can handle multiple characters on screen with ease.

The names that keep coming up now are Colin Trevorrow, Jon Favreau and Guillermo del Toro. Favreau hasn't said no, and I think del Toro is being mentioned largely by del Toro, rather than anyone who actually has any say.

Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) is the one Rich Johnston is pushing more than anyone else, so whatever, but I understand he actually did have some meetings with Lucasfilm.