The perfect console

TheSteve

This is just for fun, but if you could design the perfect console what would the specs on it be? Regardless of what games it can play, even though the games are always an important part of deciding which system to go with.

Here are some of the specs I would like to see in my dream system...

DVD capabilities are a must, I don't own a DVD player besides my PS2, if something is going to replace that system it needs to have DVD abilities as well.

Wireless controllers, not wireless controllers that cost me an extra $50 a pop and suck down batteries like there is no tommorrow, but a set of four wireless controllers which have a charging deck, so when I am not playing they are charging up for when I play again.

Hard drive instead of memory cards, there is nothing more insulting than spending $200 on a new system, $50 on a new game, $20 on a second controller, and then needing to spend another $20 on a memory card just so that I can play the game. In fact, make the hard drive big enough that I can store music on it, rip my CDs to it, or other things, which brings me to my next desire.

This is mostly because of the Revolution that I would even think about this, but the ability to download games and keep them on the system.

Front loading of disks, I know all three consoles are doing this now, and it makes me happy. Gamecube you could not keep in anything because it had a shape which did not fit everywhere, and it also was a top loader, preventing from stacking.

I would also like to see them built sturdy enough that you can stack things ontop of them without worrying that you just broke your system.

Connectivity to my computer. So that I can either play using my monitor, or do screen captures, or even record segments of the game.

I know a lot of these are little bit beyond what I really need, but its my dream system I can give it whatever I want. :)

I like a prefer the memory card. This way when Chas wants to come over to play Smash or I wanna play Bowsers level of Party at Rob's all I need to bring is the card. Xbox however, I can only finish my Jade Empire game on Achmed's. Same with Fable.

Wavebirds are decent wireless controllers without sucking up battery but no rumble feature (if it did it would kill batteries). In a dream system I want that rumble especially if it has backwards compatibility to a system with rumble.

The DVD I can buy into and is very nice but once you get into the Storage and connectivity I'm gonna start whining and tell you to buy a computer. It's a console, it's for console gaming, you don't need to story music from cd's, or videos, or whatever other nonsense. If you want that crap go DL an emulator and play on a laptop.

I'll agree with the frontloading though I wouldn't be stacking things on top of my system because it is more likely to be ported from one place or another then other things I have.

- Backwards compatibility

- 40 Gig hard drive with an option for memory cards

- Able to play PC and console games (that's why it would need the hard drive)

- Online / Download capabilities

- Wireless, rechargeable controllers

- Frontloading