Mario... Basketball.... Square-Enix?

Mr. Keith

Mario Plays B-Ball

From the makers of Final Fantasy?

by Anoop Gantayat

October 5, 2005 - Mario may have appeared on the b-ball court through a recent cameo in EA's NBA Street, but the plumber's real courtside debut will be coming from none other than Square Enix. The maker of Final Fantasy is hard at work on Mario Basket 3on3, a new basketball game for the DS. Nintendo will be serving as publisher.

In Mario Basket 3on3, you can chose to play as such characters as Mario, Luigi and Peach. The game features the expected colorful Mario look, but uses 3D visuals for the on-the-court action, which is displayed on the top screen. The game will include the special moves you've come to expect from a Nintendo sports title -- you'll even be able to turn your opponents into coins!

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada, in attendance at Nintendo's DS press conference in Japan today, officially unveiled the title. According to Wada, Square Enix approached Nintendo with the idea after realizing that basketball would be the perfect game with which to exploit the DS stylus. The game promises a refreshing type of control that uses the stylus for ball handling.

A Japanese release is planned for some time in 2006.

source ignds.com

This seems like an odd move by Square-Enix.

I hope this doesn't get out of control. Nintendo has started to just pump these games out. First was golf, then tennis, then soccer and baseball and now basketball? The only thing that would suprise me about a football game is why they didn't do it earlier. I just hope they don't go past Mario Lacrosse. :D

People need to lighten up.  If the game is fun, why does it matter?

I never went nuts. I just found this to be extremely odd news that a company like Square-Enix, which is well known for RPG's mainly and based in an area where Basketball isn't even that popular in(Which I could be wrong on, but I thought someone told me that), is working one which features characters from another person company.

I dunno, I just don't know how well they could work with an unfamiliar genre and in an even more unfamilar control scheme with the DS.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. In fact, although I don't like normal sports games, I always like the Mario versions of them. I was just saying I hope that Nintendo doesn't over do it and just start cranking out one sports game after another just for the sake of having a Mario one. These games need to be quality ones.

And I wasn't looking at kart racing as a sport like basketball or tennis, so I didn't mention it.

Square-Enix + Mario + Basketball???

Does not compute.

Seriously, does Square have any experience with any sports games ever? Blitzball? Then again, with a new take on the genre, for all we know, they could make the most fresh, innovative, and fun sports game ever. I'll probably remain a skeptic, though, until more details are released.