He Who Would Be King video

James D.

Okay, so I talked to Yoda about this and we agreed that the best way for me to get feedback is to explain what the video was about and what I wanted to accomplish with it. That way those of you who are new to anime music videos can tell me whether I accomplished what I set out to do or not. And those of you who already watch AMV's can give me more detailed feedback possibly.

===

Video: "He Who Would Be King"

Anime: Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge

Song: King Nothing - Metallica

Before I say anything else, YES, I realize that the camera panning on the video is HORRIBLY choppy. I couldn't help it because the program I used to rip the movie clips was a piece of garbage. That will not be a problem in the future, though.

The theme here is about how Demitri Maximoff wants to become king of the Demon World. His aspirations are lofty to say the least, and he is doomed to fail if he continues in such a brash, arrogant way. Thus the song. My main objective here was, as it almost always is, to match actions in the anime to the lyrics. That is my philosophy, so to speak. I want the video to tell a story via the musicians'/band's lyrics. However, I really put a lot of extra effort into this one to match the drum beats and cymbal crashes to explosions and attacks. You'll notice at several points the drumming becomes very rapid. So, for an extra effect this time, I decided to cut a ton of clips down to .07 seconds each and have them run one after the other. I think it worked pretty well for my first attempt at such fast-paced clip changing. (I was pleased by it, anyway.) Overall, I like the results better than my last two videos.

Anyway, let me know what you thought about it.

As I said when we spoke on AIM, I really enjoyed the two "castle" portions. They were timed perfectly. I'll have to watch it again, however, to look / listen for the drums. I noticed the quick cuts, which are nice (you put a lot of effort into that), but I somehow missed the faster drumming that coincided.

As I said when we spoke on AIM, I really enjoyed the two "castle" portions.  They were timed perfectly.  I'll have to watch it again, however, to look / listen for the drums.  I noticed the quick cuts, which are nice (you put a lot of effort into that), but I somehow missed the faster drumming that coincided.

The main drumming part I refer to is about...I want to say about 3 minutes and 17 seconds into the video. However, there are plenty of others I did besides that big one. When Demitri awakens from the coffin in the first minute of the video, the part near the end where James Hetfield simply says "...nothing." and so on.