Bryan Singer to helm Ultimate X-Men

Missy

This is straight from the mouth of Marvel.

BRYAN SINGER Presents ULTIMATE X-MEN - The Comic!

Acclaimed director Bryan Singer (X-Men: The Movie, X2, Usual Suspects) signs with Marvel to direct the monthly ULTIMATE X-MEN comic book!

Teaming with Singer is the X2: X-Men United writing team of Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris. The trio is slated to produce scripts for a year’s worth of Marvel’s best-selling comic book.

Singer - one of Hollywood’s hottest talents - first became involved with the world’s best-known super team as director of the X-Men movie franchise, thrilling everyone from hardcore comic fans to general moviegoers. He and his team are now bringing their cinematic sense of action and drama to Marvel’s top-selling ULTIMATE X-MEN comic book for a 12-issue run. Details for this story arc will be announced over the coming months but all parties are genuinely X-cited by the possibilities springing from telling a tale unfettered by the restrictions of a real-world special effects budget.

Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad added, “Bryan’s vision for the X-Men franchise has already changed the way the world looks at these amazing characters. It’s an absolute joy to have him now take his vision from the big screen and adapt it to the comic book format. It will be interesting to see how Bryan approaches the X-Men within this no-holds-barred medium. No matter what, he’s sure to entertain.”

Marvel Publisher Dan Buckley continued, “We couldn’t be happier to have Bryan and his team on board. Between the vision they have for these characters, the story they have to tell, and the creative freedom the comics medium provides, this is sure to be a stunning epic.”

ULTIMATE X-MEN - monthly from Marvel Comics.

(source)

Is this a good idea? A bad one? Discuss.

Ignorant peasent that I am when it generally comes to comics, how the hell do you direct a comic book? I'm in need of education.....

I think he's the one who put the creative team (RE: writers) together and will act as a quasi-editor. Repeat: I think.

I liked the X-Men movies. Not only did he do the "impossible" task of making a sequel better then the first but everytime you think you've found a plot hole he counters it with a reason.

Movies are one thing, comics, however, are a whole different ball of wax.

I liked the X-Men movies. Not only did he do the "impossible" task of making a sequel better then the first but everytime you think you've found a plot hole he counters it with a reason.

Movies are one thing, comics, however, are a whole different ball of wax.

Yeah, he'll probably make every frame 1/24th of a second so by the time the comic is finished we only have three seconds of comic book action.

• 1 month later...
I have a feeling that this could be a very painful twelve issue run. Then again, I'm all for Anybody But Bendis, so maybe I'll be surprised. I can't wait for Vaughan and Brando's arc, though.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... are you saying you don't like Bendis' writing?

Forgot to answer your question. It's certain quirks about his style that annoy me. Dialog is good, but sometimes he floods pages with panels. He also has a tendency to have characters break into Yiddish inexplicably.

Too many panels: I will give you that. He also has his artists use the same shot over and over and over again. This was pointed out to me by jeffzwirek -- no other writer seems to do this but Bendis. Not only will he have them use the same drawing repeatedly, he'll have them use it to push/zoom in and things get all grainy and digital. It's quite odd.

Yiddish: This doesn't bother me for two reasons: 1) I use Yiddish a lot and I'm not even Jewish, and 2) most of the characters he currently writing are set in New York City which has a very high Jewish population -- so even non-Jewish characters, such as Peter Parker, might drop a word now and then simply because they've picked it up from their surroundings.

[M]ost of the characters he currently writing are set in New York City which has a very high Jewish population -- so even non-Jewish characters, such as Peter Parker, might drop a word now and then simply because they've picked it up from their surroundings.

Didn't consider that. Thanks.

One other quibble, though, is the repeat.

Example: UXM #44, Page 8

Panel 4

Fury: And, I believe, your brother.

Scott: Whose brother?

Fury: Your brother.

Scott: My brother?

Fury: Your brother, Alex.

Panel 5

Scott: My brother is doing what?

Fury: He is one of the President's new mutants.

Scott: My brother is doing what?

Fury: Yes.

I dunno. Just feels...uncomfortable. <shrug>

You have to find a copy of Oni Press Color Special 2001 -- it's fucking hilarious! Bendis wrote the major story, and it features both Walker and Pilgrim (from Powers) as they investigate the death of Madman.

Bendis takes every opportunity to poke fun at the indy scene, The Big Two, other creators, and even himself. For instance, he has Oeming do the repeated panel thing 27 times on one page, and then, well... just read this dialog:

Pilgrim: Yes. Round them up.

Walker: Yes.

Pilgrim: Yes.

Walker: What?

Pilgrim: What?

Walker: No, what?

Walker: Why are you repeating everything I am saying?

Pilgrim: Why am I repeating everything you are saying?

Walker: Why are you repeating everything I am saying?

Pilgrim: Why am I repeating everything you are saying?

Walker: I'm asking you --

Pilgrim: You're asking me? You're asking me?

Walker: What?

Walker: Huh?

Pilgrim: Good.

Walker: Uh -- let's go.

Pilgrim: Let's go.

Walker: Stop it.

Pilgrim: Stopping.