Reel Dread: The Unfilmable: What is Lovecraftian Cinema?

RSS

In his 1927 canonical essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature," Howard Philips Lovecraft explained everything about his work in one sentence: "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." But, in a world where scary movies do their best to have monsters lick pretty young actresses' faces and send heroes out to kill sea creatures, where does Lovecraftian horror fit?

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/reel-dread-09

Great read as always. I know you meant focused more on the movie aspects and contributions of his works, but another paragraph to flesh out his literature achievments would have been nice.

Y'AI 'NG'NGAH, YOG-SOTHOTH H'EE-L'GEB F'AI THRODOG UAAAH

OGTHROD AI'F GEB'L-EE'H YOG-SOTHOTH 'NGAH'NG AI'Y ZHRO

Great read as always. I know you meant focused more on the movie aspects and contributions of his works, but another paragraph to flesh out his literature achievments would have been nice.

Y'AI 'NG'NGAH, YOG-SOTHOTH H'EE-L'GEB F'AI THRODOG UAAAH

OGTHROD AI'F GEB'L-EE'H YOG-SOTHOTH 'NGAH'NG AI'Y ZHRO

Thank you muchly sir. Funnily enough I trimmed 100 or so words that talked about the literature of Lovecraft. I will be reviewing some Lovecraft stuff for the podcast so stay tuned and it'll be done before you know it!

Oh yeah...You think I could convince Yog-Sothoth to clean my room once he's here?