Reel Dread - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

RSS

Let me preface this by saying that I tend to get my hopes up when it comes to films I'm excited for. Yet they never live up to the self-induced hype, and sever only to disappoint. I'm not alone in this, I'm sure of it. Regardless, my anticipation for Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon began with a short blurb about its production in an issue of Rue Morgue in late 2005, and I made mention of it a few weeks back in Dark Prophecies and Bad Omens: Anticipating 2007. As fate would have it, a screener DVD fell into my lap, but I was somewhat hesitant to press play; I didn't want my hopes dashed... again. There was just no way Behind the Mask could live up to my high expectations, or so I thought.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/reel-dread-19

I'm not fucking around or paying lip service, guys. If a better horror film comes out this year I'll be surprised.

I believe the curent date for a theatrical release is March 16th for those of you near a large urban centre but it won't be in theatres long so the DVD release shouldn't be too long after that. I'll be buying a copy for the commentary alone!

I'll be honest, I had never heard of this movie until now, but your review makes me want to go see the first screening the day it opens. Once again you deliver another brilliantly written piece.

Wow...thanks CV.

I was just so damn happy to not have my expectations ruin a perfectly good movie again. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised once in a while.

Of course the problem with my review is that I hope it hasn't oversold the movie to those who haven't seen it.