Episode 91

RSS

There's lots of post-Civil War comic book talk in this episode, including discussions about Iron Man #15, Captain America #25, Civil War: The Confession, Civil War: The Initiative and The Mighty Avengers #1. There's also a frank dialogue about how the media handled the major news spawning out of Captain America #25, and what the comic book industry can do to entice the masses. [ 1:49:57 || 50.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_091.mp3

I know this is kind of a nitpick, but Dum Dum 's last name is pronounced (doo gan) not (dug in).

You would think that someone that lives in a city with a sizeable Irish population like say Chicago would know how to pronounce an Irish name.

This isn't meant to offend, but it does tick me off a little bit when cultural names, words, and traditions get disrespected when people mispronounce or don't even try to learn how to pronounce things correctly. :grumble:

Based on the way it's spelled, you are correct. However, the reason I've always pronounced it as "dug an" is because of the alliteration. Sound it out: Dum Dum Dugan. Dum Dum "dug an" sounds better than Dum Dum "doo gan". The DU is meant to be repetitious. If I'm wrong, if other comic fans call him "doo gan," you can thank Stan Lee's famous use of alliteration for misguiding me. :happy:

Oddly enough, Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD will be airing this Tuesday night. I'll watch it to see how it's pronounced during the movie.

Oddly enough, Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD will be airing this Tuesday night. I'll watch it to see how it's pronounced during the movie.

Pleasze tell me you aren't watching that Hasselhoff film for a canonical representation of Fury...

Not in the slightest. I simply want to hear how they handled the pronunciation. That, and I want to see if it's as bad as I remember. :happy:

I always thought it was Doo-gan. Dug-an just sounds stupid to me.

RedRight88 is correct: outside of comics it would be "doo gan," but this is a Stan Lee creation we're talking about here. With Stan, alliteration is king. Why else call the character "Dum Dum" if the du in his surname is meant to sound different than the du in his nickname?

According to Stan's autobiography, he always intended the charecter to be Irish (or at least of Irish descent) so I believe that he pronounces it Doo-gan as well.

The character is clearly Irish, so, yeah, "doo gan" makes the most sense in that regard. But, again, the "du" of Dum Dum is throwing me off. Following Dum Dum, "dug an" sounds right to me.

It probably doesn't help that you have "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan running around the damn place either. :shakehead:

Agreed! Besides the "du" alliteration, the pronunciation of Hacksaw's surname adds to the confusion.