Northlanders #1

RSS

Anyone who's listened to Earth-2.net: The Show or visited the Earth-2.net forums knows I'm not Brian Wood's biggest fan. Saying nothing of his writing, my problem with the man stems from the standoffish, dare I say arrogant attitude he's presented at comic book conventions. When a creator presents himself in an unfavorable light, I find it hard to separate his public persona from his craft. Instead of seeing his comics as being independent from him, I see the creator and the comic books he creates as one creature. Worse still, sometimes I see the creator before the comic. And that's the case whenever I see DMZ on the shelf: it isn't a comic book created by Brian Wood, it is Brian Wood. So all of that indy arrogance he oozed last I saw him on a panel (Wizard World Chicago 2006), I see dripping from DMZ.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/dc/vertigo/northlanders-01

Mind you, I don't think I ever said the book would suck. I simply didn't think I'd be able to see the comic without Wood's presence overshadowing it. Thankfully I was able to, because it really is a great read.

If DC follows their typical pattern, the first collection will only be $10.