Episode 182

RSS

It's the first show of the new year! First Jenny and Mike discuss Christmas, then Jenny rants about how people treat their dogs. Following that, the duo reviews I Am Legend - the book by Richard Matheson and the movie starring Will Smith. One is loved, the other... not so much. [ 1:35:51 || 43.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_182.mp3

While the I Am Legend movie wasn't great it definetly wasn't abysmal, but then again i have followed the production of this movie for a long time and have read several versions of this script (including the final shooting script) and i can say that many of the things that you guys had problems with were actually things the studio did to the film over the course of the last few months before the film opened in theaters. The original ending that was shot was far more in tune with the book, and stuff you guys pointed out as plotholes (like the bridges, and the alpha male/alpha female, etc.) were going to play out more in the original cut but since test audiences didn't like it, they were forced to go back and re-shoot the horrible ending the film has now.

The first hour of the movie was excellent in my opinion, and i thought it captured the feeling of desperation i felt when reading the book quite well. The film was really beautifully shot and the scenes of a deserted New York were breathtaking. I thought Will Smith did a great job, and the dog Samantha played off him really well. It's a shame that the last 20-25 minutes in this cut was so awful that it ruined to me what was otherwise a really good movie. My only other complaint was the awful CGI used in the movie and I don't understand why they couldn't of just used some dudes in makeup instead.

• 1 month later...

I've just seen I Am Legend now for my next CR seg (right now, I'm predicting it'll be the funniest of the lot, without wanting to sound egotistical). And I'm stunned with how much I disagree with Mike & Jenny here. To me, it sounds like the film is getting punished a bit too much for not being like the book. And hey, I haven't read the book and can only go by your review here. But I'm very wary of how seriously fans take the source material. The Mask is VERY unlike the original Dark Horse comics, but it's still a fucking awesome movie.

I Am Legend made me marvel at Will Smith's acting, and I don't think that it didn't know what it wanted to be either. Did Die Hard not have comedic or emotional moments aside from the action? I was on edge *throughout* the movie, even when he was originally hunting the lone deer, because I knew a ZombPire could *possibly* be around the corner, and I nearly teared up when Sam the Dog snuffed it/Neville said goodbye to his daughter. I do think it lost it's way when Neville was saved by Anna, but there were still enough cool moments with the interactions, which changed the film's dynamic a lot. I want an argument, Mike! :D

And I'm struggling to place where Des gave his thoughts on the film - I *think* it was the 2007 round-up, but I'm listening to WFP, and I can't listen to 2 podcasts at once!

And I'm struggling to place where Des gave his thoughts on the film - I *think* it was the 2007 round-up, but I'm listening to WFP, and I can't listen to 2 podcasts at once!

Des did not give his thoughts on the film in his 2007 round-up because that was about Top 5 films of the year.

Des refused to see it on principal and watched Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth instead. He's sure it's much better.

Des did not give his thoughts on the film in his 2007 round-up because that was about Top 5 films of the year.

Des refused to see it on principal and watched Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth instead. He's sure it's much better.

The third person is so awesome!

Hmm, could've sworn I Am Legend got more than one Earth-2.net review....