Fantastic Four 3

JackFetch

Although sequels seem inevitable these days, the latest buzz is that we may not see another installment of Marvel and Fox's 'Fantastic Four' franchise.

Actor Chris Evans, who was the bright spot (ok...pun intended) as the Human Torch in both 'Fantastic Four' and 'Rise of the Silver Surfer' told MTV Movies Blog that he doesn't see a 'Fantastic Four 3' on the horizon.

"I'm pretty sure we won't do [another] one," Evans said. "I'm assuming that one is a closed book."

Evans says that radio silence from the studio in the wake of 'Silver Surfer' tells him that nobody's clamoring for a third film. After the first movie Fox was informing the cast of potential plot lines for the sequel immediately. At this point, almost a year after the second installment, Evans says he's heard nothing from Fox.

So how hard is the actor hit by the prospect of Flaming Off permanently? "It takes up a lot of time. It's a big commitment," he said. "I'm happy with walking away."

Although 'Silver Surfer' seemed to garner more positive buzz from fans and critics, it actually did less box office than the first. It could be that Fox is looking at the diminishing returns and considering letting the franchise go.

On the other hand, this is Marvel, a studio that has two "do-overs" coming this year in the form of 'Incredible Hulk' and 'Punisher: War Zone', so who is to say that if they halt the current FF franchise we won't see a bigger, better, totally Kirbyed-out version of FF in 2010?

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=32044

I would be perfectly happy if Fox drops it, and Marvel makes it. I would also be happy with a new cast.

Honestly, although my thoughts on the last two are less than glowing, I think they could possibly do a good third one. Alba was MUCH better in the second film than the first, Reed Richards is pretty good and the Ben-Johnny relationship is good to see. But they'd have to pull out all the stops with this one, in a Spider-Man 3 style. And as the first two films are pretty mediocre, they wouldn't have much to lose by throwing everything against the wall IMO.