DMZ: On the Ground

RSS

But how was the art? I kid.

Solid review of the approach of the book rather than the intricacies of the book itself. This is the kind of the book (ie: one with a message) where that review is more necessary than a straight review and I think it was done admirably. I never bothered picking it up because the premise was tailor-made to me and seemed all: "ooh, this is edgy and relevant."

I liked the book better when it was a movie called Escape from New York

I'm glad you've gone back to take a look at DMZ, its a personal favorite. I think that your concerns about Matty's reasons for being there will be addressed as he walks the line between staying alive and independant and getting good stories, although future editions arn't exactly message free. Sometimes I think that cartoon film generals run every aspect of the USA side.

Wood's work tends to be at the very edge of cool, combining youth culture with stories that bring the central character into adulthood by forcing them to define themselves under adverse circumstances. Northlanders is a rare change, the lead already being a pre-formed badass, although that didn't stop him sporting a little hipster chin-beard initially. Supermarket, Couscous Express & Pounded all follow this fairly simple formula. It might sound dull but the rest of the surroundings and the characters themselves are so well filled out that each story still feels very individual.

When I tire of Superhero stuff Wood's work is a nice break, especially Local. These little self-contained stories that form a bigger character arc are the perfect way to break up what can become a monotonous series of capes and cowls doing the big heroics. Plus Megan is breaking the Wood formula by constantly running from her problems.

Des: Truth be told, I really wanted to mention the art, but I couldn't find a way to work in my thoughts -- not without making the review way too long, and losing sight of what I was trying to say.

Oddly enough, I just saw Escape from New York two weeks ago, but I never made the connection. However, now that you mention it, I see some parallels.

Stavros: Another issue I have with the book is that it shouldn't feel cool. This is a nasty situation, yet everyone is hip with their tattoos, mohawks, Union Jack-covered apparel and thongs. I'm not saying everyone in the DMZ should be downtrodden, but most of the characters look they're heading out to CBGB.

Other irksome points

Matty always escapes gunfire and explosions. Trained soldiers, they die. A green journalist who's never seen a gun fight before, he lives. Yeah, I know; he's the main character and can't die, but it's bothersome nonetheless.

Having read your latest Kirby piece, Des, I now see what you mean about artists rendering thrown bodies. There's a scene in DMZ where Zee is knocked away by an explosion, but it looks like she's diving for cover. I'm not even a Kirbyphile, yet I'm already spoiled by his illustrations.

What was the point of issue #5? Someone please tell me!

"Ghosts" could have been its own three-issue storyline, and I was so pissed when it ended after one! Those guys were great, and I loved the scenery: the zoo, snow, bamboo and all of the whitespace was breathtaking.