Episode 213

RSS

One of the five books (GeNext #1, Guardians of the Galaxy #1, newuniversal: shockfront #1, Punisher #57 and X-Men Origin: Colossus) the guys reviewed this week might have made a reference to this very podcast! Download the show right now to hear the reactions of Des and Mike. [ 1:07:13 || 30.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_213.mp3

I disagree. Along with The Slavers, I'd also recommend several other Punisher MAX volumes:

Born

This tells the tale of Frank's last bloody days in Vietnam.

In the Beginning...

As the first Punisher MAX storyline, this volume did an excellent job setting up the entire run.

Mother Russia

To save a little girl, Frank travels to Russia and takes on their military. Plus, a nuclear missile is launched, and Nick Fury proves why he's the man.

From First To Last (collects The End, The Cell and The Tyger)

Simply put, all of these are great one-shots.

The End: A possible future / death for Castle.

The Cell: Frank gets himself sent to jail to extract revenge.

The Tyger: Another piece of his past is revealed.

I disagree. Along with The Slavers, I'd also recommend several other Punisher MAX volumes:

Born

This tells the tale of Frank's last bloody days in Vietnam.

In the Beginning...

As the first Punisher MAX storyline, this volume did an excellent job setting up the entire run.

Mother Russia

To save a little girl, Frank travels to Russia and takes on their military. Plus, a nuclear missile is launched, and Nick Fury proves why he's the man.

From First To Last (collects The End, The Cell and The Tyger)

Simply put, all of these are great one-shots.

The End: A possible future / death for Castle.

The Cell: Frank gets himself sent to jail to extract revenge.

The Tyger: Another piece of his past is revealed.

Alright, some of the good ones...to be fair I never thought of First to Last because I never knew it existed and Born, I don't consider Punisher MAX. I was talking the regular series. It's pretty hardcore too.

First storyline, yes. Mother Russia? Snoozefest to me.

I HATE Ennis' Fury.

Yeah but to me it exists outside of that universe. I don't like it as an incontinuity Punisher book with that whole subconscious talking to him shit. It makes him look like a psychopath and he isn't.

It's a good story but it's not the Marvel MAX Punisher Ennis is writing.

That's not his subconscious speaking to him. It's Death. Ennis says as much in his plot outline, which is collected in the back of the hardcover. He did this to explain how a man who's pushing 60 can still do the things Castle does.

It makes him look like a psychopath and he isn't.

really? All the actions of the character would say otherwise.

Psychopathy is a medical psychological condition marked by very precise factors. Dr. Robert Hare, who essentially defined the term psychologically says they are: intraspecies predators who use charm, manipulation, intimidation, sex and violence to control others and to satisfy their own selfish needs. Lacking in conscience and in feelings for others, they take what they want and do as they please, violating social norms and expectations without guilt or remorse" "What is missing, in other words, are the very qualities that allow a human being to live in social harmony." (Hare, Robert D. Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us) Great book if you can get past the jargon.

Essentially, there is a clear break in emotional and volitional health which is clearly not the Punisher. There is no problem with him emotionally on a human level. Sure he's disturbed but psychopathy is hereditary and clearly wouldn't make you seem odd eating Fruit Loops with Charlie Manson on your front porch.

I would say Castle suffers from Post Traumatic Personality Disorganisation. Which is a bit like Borderline Personailty Disorder mixed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. But clearly he comes down on the side of sociopathy and not psychopathy. Psychopaths are essentially sufferers of Antisocial Personality Disorder which is marked by the inability to live in society. Castle blends right in making him a sociopathic BPD sufferer in my eyes.

I almost became a psychologist. That is, until I started making good choices. :D

That's not his subconscious speaking to him. It's Death. Ennis says as much in his plot outline, which is collected in the back of the hardcover. He did this to explain how a man who's pushing 60 can still do the things Castle does.

Death speaks to him? Right...schizophrenic he is not.

Maybe Ennis has less of a grasp on Castle than I thought.