The King and I: Jim Steranko, Agent of KIRBY

RSS

While I am undoubtedly a Kirbyphile (hello, my name is Desmond Reddick), there is no more compelling personality in comics than Jim Steranko. Before comics, Steranko was a circus sideshow performer, a magician, a gymnast, an amateur boxer, fencer and car thief. And this all before the age of 18! He went on to be an illusionist, escape artist and jazz musician while paying the rent as a graphic artist at an ad agency. It wasn't until 1966, at the age of 28, when Steranko landed his first job at Marvel Comics 11 penciling and inking finishes over Jack Kirby's layouts in the Nick Fury portions of Strange Tales, a book shared with the O'Neil / Ditko Dr. Strange.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/the-king-and-i-04

:bowdown:

Awesome, awesome, awesome column. Steranko is the fucking man, and they should teach his run of Nick Fury in schools. "Fuck Middlemarch, we're doing "Who is Scorpio?"

I am all kinds of happy right now.

And Mike, the banners are getting better and better.

Excellent work, Des. I hope to see more of these "inspired by Kirby" profiles in the near future.

Thank you, there will be more. Sometime soon.

:bowdown:

Awesome, awesome, awesome column. Steranko is the fucking man, and they should teach his run of Nick Fury in schools. "Fuck Middlemarch, we're doing "Who is Scorpio?"

I am all kinds of happy right now.

And Mike, the banners are getting better and better.

Thanks Dan. I was happier with this than all of my other King and I's. Funnily enough, Mike not only did a GREAT banner, he re-titled the work. Funnily enough it was the only title I was unhappy with and when Mike sent the title on the banner my way, my mind was blown. Kudos, sir!

Thanks guys, nice to leave for work with a caffeine withdrawal headache, and get to work with two bits of praise.