The Goon

Dark Horse Entertainment, David Fincher and animation house Blur Studios are teaming up to bring cult comic The Goon to the big screen as a CG-animated film.

Created by Eric Powell in 1999, the comic follows the adventures of a muscle-bound brawler who claims to be the primary enforcer for a feared mobster. The stories have a paranormal and comedic edge to them and concern ghosts, zombies, mad scientists and "skunk apes."

Powell, who broke the news Wednesday on his website, would write the screenplay for "Goon," and Fincher would produce.

No studio is yet attached, and deals are being negotiated. Dark Horse, which has a first-look deal with Universal, is aiming to develop the project in-house before setting it up.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7434

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Earlier today, ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype had a super-rare opportunity to sit down with filmmaker David Fincher to talk about his fantastic new film

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and our questions about the flm's amazing opening credits title sequences animated by Tim Miller at Blur led directly into us asking about his other animated project, producing Eric Powell's animated movie based on his popular Dark Horse comic book character The Goon.

Fincher gave us a quick update on its progress:

"Eric's been working on it and Tim's been working on it, and Jeff (Fowler). People continue to work on it and refine stuff, but it's hard for me because I'm in Sweden, so I can't really make many production meetings, but the attempt is to in January really go out and try and figure out a price that makes sense.

"I don't know why you can spend $200 million on 'The incredibles' but you can't spend $50 million on 'The Goon,' or $130 million on 'Kung Fu Panda' and $50 million on 'The Goon,'" he mused.

Source

• 9 months later...