Adventures of Superman: The Complete First Season, part two

RSS

As important as the main character is, any Superman project is (generally speaking) only as good as its supporting cast. The first Superman film is an exception to this; Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman shoulder the full weight of that movie despite a rather lackluster cast. Otherwise, you can usually point to the supporting players as a major factor in any success a Superman show has. Lois and Clark had arguably the best Lex Luthor in John Shea, and probably the best Lois Lane (certainly the best live-action Lois) in Teri Hatcher. The Animated Series got amazing performances out of Dana Delany. Smallville fans routinely point to Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack. Superman Returns had... um... well... Sam Worthington made a decent Jimmy Olsen, despite having nothing to do, and James Marsden made the most of a thankless role. Adventures of Superman, however, has them all beat.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/m/adventure...-superman-01-02

Really good, but you have to wonder why 50's commercials were happy to say these two grown men, one who has a history of having the power to date rape(and it ain't Perry!) to share a room with a youth they are not realted to.....I'm just saying!

But yeah, good as usual Dan, but I have to ask, the definitve Lex Luthor being on Lois and Clark and the best Lois Lane as well, still makes me wonder why that show still sucked.

But yeah, good as usual Dan, but I have to ask, the definitve Lex Luthor being on Lois and Clark and the best Lois Lane as well, still makes me wonder why that show still sucked.

That show was less than stellar (although I admit a soft spot for it) because the creator envisioned a romantic comedy about Clark and Lois and intended Superman to be a very minor, almost background part of the story, and cast with that in mind. Dean Cain is a decent enough Clark, and he can do romantic comedy fine and had good chemistry with Hatcher. However, by the time the show made it to air, ABC made it clear they wanted a Superman show, and in that respect Cain was hopeless. He was at least ten years too young and lacked any kind of authority. Why the part wasn't recast is beyond me.

Fun fact: Instead of Cain, the part came within a hair's breadth of going to Kevin Sorbo.